Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't visited the conservation board in a long time,
but in lieu of the pending garbage from Annapolis I decided to check in.

To my suprise there are no threads re the propasal to
allow comercials to net yellow perch in the Upper Choptank
and Nantikote Rivers. At the same time maintaining a rec
limit of 5 fish.

This is absolute lunacy

Check the DNR websight for hearing times and dates

Bert

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yes...but they died a rapid death once the Cambridge public hearing was over.

The Governor won...DNR won...Mr. Simms won...so go back to sleep and get ready to kill your legal limit next spring. Go get your "share of the pie" as Mr. Simms put it...and be happy that you have it at least for a while. And in a few years when your children have no fish to catch, look yourself in the mirror.

Porkchunker

409 Posts
[Q]Porkchunker originally wrote:
Yes...but they died a rapid death once the Cambridge public hearing was over.

The Governor won...DNR won...Mr. Simms won...so go back to sleep and get ready to kill your legal limit next spring. Go get your "share of the pie" as Mr. Simms put it...and be happy that you have it at least for a while. And in a few years when your children have no fish to catch, look yourself in the mirror.

Porkchunker
[/Q]

If the Yellow Perch are truely endangered, why not stop the total harvest, instead of just one user group.

It's not about the fish.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I never said it was about the share of fish. I don't want any YP fishing until the stocks in all the rivers are up to sustainable levels.

I don't want any menhaden fishery until the oysters are restored and the Bay has enough filter-feeders to keep it clean.

It is not about my fair share of the fish--it is all about the balance of the natural resource and the health of the Bay.

Porkchunker (formerly Skopje)

2510 Tina's Diamond

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Reds..Capt. Mike Anderson,

Let me ask you this one simple question.

Would you feel it was a victory, if the DNR had proposed that anyone holding a commercial license be allowed to sell their catch of yellow perch, but only on one condition. They were held to the same fishing regulations as anyone else? 2 hooks per line, and the hooks had to be barbless. I'll even give you an unlimited limit of fish over 9 inches, whereas the recs will still have to abide by 5 fish per person.

Would you jump on board and say "OK, now everyone has an equal share"?

I'll await your answer...

409 Posts
[Q]Butthead originally wrote:
Reds..Capt. Mike Anderson,

Let me ask you this one simple question.

Would you feel it was a victory, if the DNR had proposed that anyone holding a commercial license be allowed to sell their catch of yellow perch, but only on one condition. They were held to the same fishing regulations as anyone else? 2 hooks per line, and the hooks had to be barbless. I'll even give you an unlimited limit of fish over 9 inches, whereas the recs will still have to abide by 5 fish per person.

Would you jump on board and say "OK, now everyone has an equal share"?

I'll await your answer...
[/Q]

My opinion,from day one, was that
the whole Yellow Perch Fishery should be shut down.

That means no one gets a share.

Not the answer you expected is it?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
OK...I hear your view, and that is admirable...sort of.

But you didn't answer my question, so let me re-phrase it.

If the DNR made it a level playing field for everyone, Whether were talking about yellow perch, or rockfish, or crabs, whatever... would you be on board and say that it is a fair proposition?

409 Posts
[Q]Butthead originally wrote:
OK...I hear your view, and that is admirable...sort of.

But you didn't answer my question, so let me re-phrase it.

If the DNR made it a level playing field for everyone, Whether were talking about yellow perch, or rockfish, or crabs, whatever... would you be on board and say that it is a fair proposition?
[/Q]

Yellow Perch...You have my answer
Rockfish...It's already a level playing field.
Crabs.....I think taking anymore then a bushel a day (recreational) would be a temptation to sell them. Which already takes place now at a bushel per day.

If you are trying to get me to say that 300,000 recreational fishermen are intitled to half of what the other 6 million people in Maryland are intitled to. I don't agree.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
You keep talking limits...I've given you an open limit.

But even with an open limit, you do not want to admit that if you had to fish like everyone else, it would make a difference in the fish and crab stocks so that everyone can enjoy them, not just those lucky enough to have a commercial license, and the gear to use it. I can't even take my son down to the pier to catch a few crabs anymore. ya gonna blame it on acid rain, or cow sh!t running into the bay? That stuff has been running into the bay for centuries....But how many commercial crabbers were bringing in 60-70 bushels of crabs a day in the late eighties?? I was on a crab boat at the time, Mike, I know. That is what hurt the bay.

You are so antiquated in your ways, and completely hardheaded, that I don't know why I continue to go back and forth with you.

If commercial fisherman had to fish like everyone else...

i.e; hook and line for fish, trotline for crabs, it would restore the stocks to levels enjoyable by all, not just those with nets and permanent catching devices such as crab pots.

Your continued twisting and dancing around the subject only enhances my point that no matter what, The antiquted thinking of waterman is what is destroying our resource. I'm ashamed that you are a member of my heritage...you and guys like you are giving us all a black eye!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.