Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would rather not have to buy them if something else works. Shrimp? Nightcrawlers? Fishbites?

May have to give this livelining fad:thumbup: a try...

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Nothing else works as well as bloods. Fishbites (the bloodworm flavor of course!) can work ok in warm water, but even they do best if you first use a few bloodworms to get the scent into the water.

As tough as spot have been to find this year, I wouldn't mess around. You can buy a dozen once, and either keep them in your fridge for a week or two, or use kosher or sea salt and freeze them. A dozen decent bloodworms is probably enough for 2 to 4 trips.

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Other baits will work but IMHO - tough to beat a FRESH 1/4 inch piece of bloodworm. If Spot are around - this will get them when they ignore other baits.

Cutting 1/4 long pieces helps to discourage Perch from hitting - but you'll still get some no matter what.

I change the baits if no hit after 5 minutes. Sucks to toss over bait but I'm that convinced fresh bloody makes a difference.

When Spot are really thick ( not lately ) they'll grab night crawlers and even tiny bits of fillet Spot.

Grass shrimp work good but often attract Perch before Spot can get to the hook.

Just for fun - when you get Spot on bloodworm - try 1-2 other baits and see how they do. If they do as well - save the $$$ blods for next trip.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Bloods are best but when the bay is good and salty . And water is above 60 i'll take fish bites and catch all the spot i need .

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can I catch spots at Podickery/mouth of Magothy or do I have to run down to Hackets?

Thanks everybody! Mike

·
Registered
617 Posts
I was at Podicary Pt Weds with hopes of spot to liveline and after 2 hours of drifting with bloods only caught perch.I really covered a lot of bottom.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Hackets is spot heaven most years. Not this one. People are struggling there. I wouldn't make a long run there. Sorry, I've got no advice on where closer to home for you, but Hackets has been grim. Weird, weird year.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
I was at Podicary Pt Weds with hopes of spot to liveline and after 2 hours of drifting with bloods only caught perch.I really covered a lot of bottom.
I saw a charter over there the other day trying to gather some up.I only saw his party catching some white perch also. If you tell people where you're catching them now, you'll probably be called a "Spot' burner.

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I saw a charter over there the other day trying to gather some up.I only saw his party catching some white perch also. If you tell people where you're catching them now, you'll probably be called a "Spot' burner.
Nick: If you cook them too long... hahahah I bet you can catch them inside the SPSP lagoon...

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
I personally only use blood worms this year because the spot have been harder to come by. I have been carrying 4 bags for 4 people. Most years by the middle of summer I have moved to fishbites once we find a spot bite. I sleeve small worm pieces over #6 hooks with spinners on top and bottom rigs. Though the spot have been tougher to find, they are in pockets. For example, one trip we couldnt buy a spot unless we were in 20-21' of water on a ledge. Any deeper or shallower we caught perch. Another trip in another location we would only catch them in 14-15' of water. Recently a buddy only found them in 24' of water. Some trips it takes 3 or 4 stops to find a decent spot bite. I have even back-trolled (idled the boat in reverse with lines in the water) to find pockets. Once you catch a few spot, try anchoring and cast out from the boat with slow retrieves on the bottom.. This often times cuts down on the perch and will help increase the percentage of spot catches.

As far as where to look. It is the same as always... harder bottoms with depth changes.

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all..good stuff. see you out there (I know; unless you see me first...:thumbup:

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,699 Posts
on 08-05 Podickery= o spot and Hackets= 0 spot. I was using fishbites

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Rethinking. Looking at Sun. current/tide. I don't want to waste good current/ trying to catch spots. May just wing it with fake stuff and find my own fish away from the fleets. At least I know the general area and depth to find striped stuff...

Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts