Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and I learned a lesson this past week when we bought a trailer for my Carolina Skiff for a very good price. It was this price because it did not have a title. I went to register it without the VIN (id) number because it was faded away on the trailer, thinking DMV would cut me some slack. Well it turns out there is no way that a vehicle can recieve a title without this number. So now I have a trailer that we cannot use except just around the neighborhood.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
The original owner, if that is who you purchased the trailer from, can apply for a duplicate title. Or, if that is not going to work, you may be able to register it as a home built trailer and they should assign it a number.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sir,You can go to the DMV and get a application for a homemade trailer.They will give you a metal tag to put on the trailer.You have to have the police come by and inspect the trailer.Tell him the story if he wants to hear it.He will probably pass it and you will get a title for a homemade trailer.I have done two this way and it is no problem.This way you can legally use it and everybody else can get their money in fees. Good Luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
you do not need a title to register a trailer in the state of maine. don't know what state you are in but it's alot cheaper per year than maryland, plus no tax or inspection. let me know and I will give you a number for a tag broker.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
you do not need a title to register a trailer in the state of maine. don't know what state you are in but it's alot cheaper per year than maryland, plus no tax or inspection. let me know and I will give you a number for a tag broker.
I would like that info if you don't mind.Ihave a trailer that the registration got all screwed up when it got registered .Some how it came back with my name and the other owners address,we live in different states and it's a real hassle getting this fixed.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
AND, make shure you get permanent tags instead of annual renu, had mine for a few years and paid yearly like a dummy till i found out about permanent tags. They dont offer up that info automatic, they like to get ya every year.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
I went through a nightmare with DMV after I bought a boat and trailer that was registered in Florida.

I won't go through the whole story because it still drives me crazy even thinking about dealing with the DMV.:censored:

The homemade trailer recommendation is the way to go.

Dennis:))

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am also having the same problem. I just went to the Virginia DMV with form VSA22. I got my VIN easily and will put it on this weekend. The question I have is, what do you write in for the Vehicle Information on Form VSA22 and Source of Ownership Information on form VSA17A. The are asking for the make & model as if the homemade trailer was built from a do it yourself kit. I hope this works. I haven't had a legal trailer for a long time now. Thanks for the help.

Pete

·
Registered
83 Posts
I did this years ago, and a State Trooper came to the house after the metal tag was affixed to the trailer and signed the form for me to take to DMV. If it is still that way (and I don't know if it is), what are you going to say to him when it is obvious what you are trying to do?

Good luck, and if you bought the trailer in VA, whoever sold it to you I think broke the law by selling something they didn't have a title for. You should try and get them to go through the DMV gyrations of getting it right.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
I did this years ago, and a State Trooper came to the house after the metal tag was affixed to the trailer and signed the form for me to take to DMV. If it is still that way (and I don't know if it is), what are you going to say to him when it is obvious what you are trying to do?

Good luck, and if you bought the trailer in VA, whoever sold it to you I think broke the law by selling something they didn't have a title for. You should try and get them to go through the DMV gyrations of getting it right.
Rick,

What did you say to the Trooper ?

Any problems ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts