Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heard some people put them in ice or really cold water to keep them from moving so much what you guys take on itand also is it better to use bobber or not

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Place some newspaper (several layers) over the ice in the cooler and then place your eels in a bucket sitting on top of the ice. They become somewhat dormant and can be easily handled and do not tangle themselves up when placing them on the hook. Once back in the water they become very lively once again.

Bobber or no bobber is a personal preference; weight or no weight as well. Free swimming, without either, seems to work best for me. I do put one on a bobber and one weighted slightly out along with those on the surface. The free swimming eels reach their own determined depth.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The cold water or ice will drown them... I personally keep them in a livewell... Hook them in the lip with a circle hook and get em' in the water...

A frozen water bottle in a bucket with them will keep then for hours...

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
We use ice in the summer to help slow them down and to keep them damp. IF they dry up, they'll die in the heat. But recently when eeling the past few weeks, they do just fine in a bucket with a wet towel for 2 days. Use a dry cloth to pick 'em up and they handle easily.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
sand

someone, i forgot who, told me that they sand 'em down real well, and it removes the slime and they handle with ease. maybe i'll try that some day

·
Registered
146 Posts
bag on ice

I put em in a plastic bag on top of ice and it works really well, haven't had any die and they are dormant when hooking...

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
A bucket of sand or a bucket of cat litter works. You dampen your hand and pad it in the sand / cat litter. It gives you an abrasive grip that works well & is renewable. Rags get wet and slimey as the day goes on. Really cheap brown paper towels like you see in public bathrooms work good as well.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Come on guys, it's not that bad. Pick up a set of heavy rawhide set of work gloves, always keep a pair in the boat. Slime? No problem. The roughess of the glove(s) will keep the things from slipping out of your hands. I call em "my Johnson gloves"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts