Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..........and if so can I hunt them? Never been and want to try or go with someone who knows?

THANKS,
Anthony

·
Registered
366 Posts
When I lived out west coyote hunting was my major passtime . I have all the gear and pretty good knowhow. Find a place and I will join you. Problem is that you need a pretty good piece of property to make much of a day of it. Coyotes can hear very well and you need to move at least a mile away between stands.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i had a few on my land but they are no longer with us! I use all electronic calls and i hunt at night not the day! it's easier at night because you dont have to be still and can drink beer while calling!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tracker, sounds good!!!

I sent a few inquires to DNR about public land populations/opportuynities in the wesdtern part of the state. Otherwise, hopefully some of the TF'ers will offer help with property or locale's?

We'll be in touch.

Anthony

·
Registered
196 Posts
Got em on my Aunts farm in Garrett county. Have seen their tracks, but have never seen one. I've seen bobcats and bears but never a coyote. I know they are there though. My cousins have seen em. They are clever little critters.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
A friend of mine that hunts Green Ridge has seen them from time to time. If you trust handheld GPS units with trees (leaves are off so they're not too bad now) or are comfortable with a compass, I would suggest that. PLENTY of room to go to spread out you're calling routines and now that deer season is pretty much over, running into other hunters after the first 1/2 mile probably won't be a problem. I know he has hunted the 15 Mile Creek area and I'm not sure where else, but the coyotes are there. Even the best areas sightings are rare and shots rarer.

Good luck !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have them but my property is in PA. You are welcome to head on up and clear them out! They showed up about 4-5 years ago (thick) and now you are lucky to see a couple of deer. Get rid of them or at least reduce the population!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have 2 full grown ones here in Suffolk. I saw both of them togethert last spring while turkey hunting, This past muzzeloader season my brother in-law saw one of them. What kid of calls would they respond to? I think that they would be difficult to call in.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I like to take a small bulb squeaker with me when I am in the deer stand. Squeak it every onnce in a while. Won't scare the deeer and you never know what it will calll in. When I was in California and hunted yotes all the time I would often start out with a squeaker. I have seen them come in from 200yards away with that call. If you just want to set up and call go get a sceery cottontail moutr call. Very easy to use, cheap and good quality.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts