Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you had to turn an outboard around 180 degrees to go in reverse? Funny how the brain works . I was driving home from work thinking about doing some back trolling for flounder this weekend when I remembered what you used to have to do to go in reverse. When I was about 10 my grandfather bought a new Evinrude 5 hp outboard. I was so excited because he said that I could run it sometime. I seem to remember that going in reverse was something a 10 year old shouldn't try because you had to standup and lean over the motor to steer with the tiller handle.

OK, how many of you out there remember those days?

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
I guess I was around 6 or so when my dad and his brother ( my uncle ) took me fishing.

The row boat had a small outboard - it was direct drive. Once started - it was going forward.

It was a b*tch to start , they took turns and once started , the driver had to sit down quick or get thrown over.

Remember we had to row back to the dock - the pull cord broke.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I once had an old wooden Bay-built bateau......8 HP Briggs and Stratton, direct drive....pull it, it started, you went......to stop ground the engine with a screwdriver.....no reverse.....stick steer.....if you horsed the tiller all the way over it kinda crabbed sideways to get to the dock.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About 8 yrs ago....so how old does that make him?.....I remember when his cell phone rang...it was really big and the ring tone was the theme to "The Andy Griffith Show".....:wink44:
Jamie, LOL, but you forgot the part about the crank on the side and then you told Milly who you wanted to talk to.:eyebrows:

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brothers:
We still have a little Evenrude that has no reverse and you have to do the 180 degree thing to go backwards

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Mammaries are made of this!

Jack: Approximately 68 years ago, I was privileged to operate my dads Waterwitch trolling Lake Erie and Presque Isle Bay for walleyes and bass.
My dad fondly referred to this motor as his Water *****. When it didn't work I learned the finer points of rowing. Brings back lots of fond memories.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I still have my 1972 Johnson 2 HP - first motor my Dad and I bought - $140 new. It was a 360 degree swivel as well and I still use it every year.

I remember being able to buy my own Mitchell 300, and later the ultralight version, the 308. I had a Browning Silaflex rod along with a Garcia Conolon. When yellow Royal Bonyl monofilament came out we thought we had something. All we needed to catch fish was a yellow Doll Fly for crappie, Mepps Spinner, Rapala, Hula Popper and Creme worm for bass. We use to troll those small rigged 4" Creme worms with the beads and spinners for bluegill. Later I acquired a Shakespeare 606 Wondertroll and I became a real bass fisherman! A 10' jon boat, a 2 HP outboard and a transom mount 12 lb thrust electric motor and I thought I had tthe ultimate bass rig!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Back about 1953 or 54 my first motor was an Elgin 1&1/2 HP that barely mover the 16' planked rowboat against the wind. It had and open fly wheel where you wrapped the starter cord to pull start. Next year I got a 3&1/2 Evenrude that I had for probably 20 years. It has a automatic rewind pull cord and you turned it 360 degrees for reverse. After that it was a 10HP Mercury Hurricane that looked like a green football and had a prop the size of a bowtie. Ah, for the good old days!

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
I recently built a resturant in Arlington (Bayou Bakery) and one of my gifts to the owner was my 1955 Clinton 25 motor(W/reverse) that hangs on the wall as a decoration BTW It still started on the second pul Jack before I mounted her on the Transom of the "JENNY" check it out when in that neighborhood.Looks great w/the aligator head hanging and such other stuff I mounted for David....

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Yep....Sears Ted Williams Edition...taught me the value of a paddle!!! :yes: Finally saved up some $$ (with M&D's help too) and bought me a brand spanking new 7.5hp Johnson with REVERSE!!! I was too young to drive or own a car, but I had my boat!!!

But the real questions is...do you plan to spin that 225 around this weekend??? :eek2: If so, I wanna see this!!!! :hysterical::photo4::poke1:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
when I was freshly in the military and needed something to float in and not paddle I bought a john boat with an old engine from a lady for 200 bucks....the engine ran.....the gas was in the top of the engine....I think it was around a 2.5 horse....don't remember the make or model.....on the first trip to a small lake fishing for panfish I started her up.....took off full throttle....the transom broke and the engine fell off and the boat sank......I think it's still in that lake....lake moraine in upstate NY. I'm sitting here laughing thinking about it......swam to shore with nothing but a wet a$$ and no fishing gear.......at least my truck keys were still in my pocket....

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'm old enough to really appreciate the memories this thread evokes! My first outboard, which went on an 8' wooden pram bought cheap from Capt. Stan's in Silver Spring, MD because it was dinged up on delivery to him, was mail ordered from Herter's in Minnesota. (If you're asking what's mail order?? you can skip ahead now). One and 1/2 hp, pivot 180 degrees for reverse, and ran like a champ on Tridelphia reservoir. Probably about 1962. As Archie sang-- those were the days! Now , of course, I've got a 225 Suzuki and it goes like a screaming banchee-- with a reverse gear. Ah, modern times!

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just got home from work and sat down to read everyones memories. Great stuff. While I don't want to go back to the past, it sure is nice to recall those days. And Andy, just wait and see what I can do with that 225. Just ask Jamie.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts