Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By back issues are making me think about keeping my boat in a slip vs on a trailer . I am very concerned about security of my electronics . I am invested in 3 Furuno units that are mounted to the top of my dashboard. If I were to keep my boat in a slip I want it to be around Chesapeake Beach . I know each marina has different levels of security but I know the best level of security is not to have them mounted to the boat and remove them at the end of each trip. So what does everyone do ? I do not want to rely on insurance and fight that hassle . I had to do that with a car and would like to avoid that . I am really interested on what to do. ??

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I had my electronic head unit stolen from my boat. Luckily I got it back after DNR caught the perp. For a long time (maybe 4 months) I constantly took the unit off and locked it up in the cabin. It was a pain, and I was concerned that I might loosen or damage a "pin" when taking off the unit or replacing it.

So I went another route. This will only deter a thief; not stop them. But, I hope it gives them enough "pause" to leave my unit alone and look for an easier unit to steal.
You can find these locks on Amazon to fit most units on the market.
Hope this helps.
5th

Attachments

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
That's a DuraSafe E-Lock Max-2 Lock System. Bass Pro carries them and the less expensive DuraSafe Universal E-lock. I had one of the latter on my Lowrance HDS10 when it was stolen at Kiptopeake 3 years ago. The lock worked, perp cut the metal on the mount and stole the lock along with the unit. I wish Lowrance (and the other manufacturers) would make short cables (6 - 12") with male and female fittings to facilitate easier removal of their units with less chance of screwing up the pins by allowing a little extra slack for unplugging of the unit. Attaching and removing cables on back side of the unit with little slack is a potential recipe for disaster to those pins.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I remove mine and take it home with me but I also have a heavy plastic bag I keep attached to the cables to keep them out of the salt air as I have had them corrode on other units. Garman attaches a rubber boot to protect the connectors when disconnected unfortunately Lowrance does not.

·
Premium Member
26,140 Posts
If you leave them on the boat - be sure to read your insurance coverage.

Some policies require the unit to be flush mounted - not on the bracket.

IMHO - It should only take you 5 minutes to take them off / put them back on. Figure you use the boat X amount of time each month - no big deal.

You'll sleep better.

FWIW: Be sure to leave yourself a note in truck - I once was delayed when a dive charter captain had to drive home to get his GPS unit.

·
Registered
407 Posts
FWIW: Be sure to leave yourself a note in truck - I once was delayed when a dive charter captain had to drive home to get his GPS unit.
I use a heavy nylon satchel i hang over the steering wheel of my center console to keep all of my essentials in, vhf, depthfinder, gps, extra sunglasses, binoculars, fish regs, tape measure, map, keys, plugs, suntan lotion, extra batteies, cozy, multitool, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts