Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a post I just made over on the Buggs Island Fishing Board. Of course, this pertains to crappie in that lake.

Have noticed here lately that the over night air temps for the Clarksville area are getting down into the low to mid 60's. Has anyone been on the lake in the last few days and seen what the surface water temp's are? I don't think the ACOE up dates their temp reading but maybe once a month. Am guessing, but would think early morning till maybe 10 or 11 o'clock am the temps could be in the low to mid 70's not in the 80 plus range as shown on the ACOE board. As in the spring a crappie fisherman is looking for a certain water temp to find areas; at a proper depth, where the crappie are gathering to spawn. Our thinking is that the summer; hot water pattern is, for the crappie to go deep and a lot move out to the main lake to find that depth of water. In the early fall as the water temp begins to drop down thru the 70's and into the upper 60's they put on their "feed bags" and begin moving out of the deep holding areas, back up into the major creeks and their feeder creeks. These same areas are where you might find them in numbers in the post spawn pattern. Structures such as brush, rocky points, stumps, ect in 20' to 12' of water. As you can tell I'm getting a case of the fall fever.

Acey

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Was just getting ready to go down the Man Cave but ran across this on the internet and wanted to post it. Go down the page till you have the graph which shows the predicted day time highs and lows. Also on the graph it shows the predicted rain fall. What I see looking at the chart is by the middle of next week we could see the water temps at the lake begin to fall back into the low to mid 70's. Two things; note the high/low temps are generally in a falling pattern over the life of the chart and secondly the rain will help to get the water temps to come down. Looks like you all better get your hook sharpeners down and start working on your hooks. :hysterical: :pp :fishing2:

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/US/VA/Clarksville.html

Acey

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here's another chart I just found for the first time showing water temps at Buggs Island. Notice above the chart it says this gauge is usually one of the coolest readings. Also says something about various depths but does not explain. After posting this I'm going looking for information as to where and the depth of this gauge.

http://www.kerrlakeguide.com/node/37#temp

Acey

Here's what I found. Only location given is Roanoke River, Buggs Island, Virginia. I take it that since, Buggs Island is under water, not visible, the gauge must be located out in the lake, submerged and mounted on Buggs Island itself. I think Buggs Island is located in the lake just south of the state camp ground. In the chart it gives the gauge "height" not depth. Maybe someone out there can make some cense out of this and let us know. If you look at the temp chart you see it gives a reading in the high 70's for a high yesterday and a low down near 70. I'm guess the high was yesterday afternoon and the low last night. Did see there is another gauge in Allen Creek.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?02079500

Don't you just love it. Look at all the knowledge you have learn reading this thread. :pp :decision55:

Acey

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK; did some searching and found this under definitions for terms used on the USGS chart.

gage height--the height of the water surface above the gage datum (zero point). Gage height is often used interchangeably with the more general term, stage, although gage height is more appropriate when used with a gage reading.

I take it that it means the same as; "temp below the water surface."

Still trying to find were the gauge is located. Ron informed me yesterday Buggs Island is down in lake Gaston and not in Kerr Lake.

Acey

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ran across this today. Some very good information concerning the Roanoke River and the history of Buggs Island Lake and the construction of the dam.

http://www.virginiaplaces.org/watersheds/roanoke.html

If you scroll down the page you will come to a picture of the dam and in the picture they have Buggs Island marked. Now what good is a temp reading below the dam has me wondering. To some degree they most always are dumping water from Kerr Lake into Lake Gaston; the lower lake below the dam. The gates which they open to dump the water are, I think, down near the bottom of the dam meaning the water being turn loose is water 30 foot plus deep in the upper lake. To me, the temp of this water would not relate in any means to a fisherman up on Butchers creek, fishing in 15 to 18 feet of water.

Acey

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got up this morning and checked on the Clarksville temps. Accu Weather has that it is 48 degrees. lol They are calling for 49 tonight, and down around 50 for the next two nights. Highs for the next 4 days not out of the mid 70's. Didn't get the amount of rain that had been predicted but if you look at the extended 15 day forecast on Accu Weather; if they are right, the lake's weather pattern is changing into an early fall pattern for sure. Surface water temp was somewhere around 81/82 early last week. Anyone goes fishing on the lake this coming Thur or Friday; give us an up date on the water temp they get and we can see if this 4 day cool down in air temps begins getting the water temps to begin falling as well. I'd like to see 70 or high 60's before making our first fall trip up to Butchers.

Acey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts