Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am filming a documentary in the Northern Neck Chesapeake Bay area. The website is : www.BreathingLifeTV.com and on Facebook the name of the film: Breathing Life into the Chesapeake, of Oysters, Boats, and Men. It tells the story of the recovery of the bay in 2013 and features some boat stories as well, George Butler of the Reedville Marine Railway building a wooden skiff, the 102 year old skipjack, Claud W Somers, and a round stern deadrise built in the 1960s and left to die in the marshes, now rebuilt. Also features local watermen and tonging and dredging of oysters, as well as aquaculture...... Dave Miller......

·
Registered
370 Posts
That's great. I did not think there was anything uplifting about the state of the oyster popultion in the bay. From what I have read the oyster population is a examlpe of what is wrong with the bay. Overfishing and poor water quality caused by an explosion of population along the bay was made native oysters go extinct for all purposes. Will this "documentary" explain how the oyster population which is at single digits of what it once survive?

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Dave, being a "reef keeper" I learned to understand how important it is to return shells to water. the bottom of my tanks were covered with shells,, to maintain proper chemistry) Living near water I have seen what sad stewardship, does to our water ways.
Thank you for your help returning our waterways to healthy conditions!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Dave, I work for an aquaculture oyster company. I am pretty sure if you wanted to get some shots for the film, we could probably help you out. Let me know if you interested in anyway. I look forward to watching it

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is the exact type of film I was hoping to come across. Making a living on the water is a mystical, fantastical idea for me being from Central Texas. I have always had a strong attraction to coastal activities and can't wait to see this documentary. I can't say I know much about the area nor do I have any idea what I can offer, but if you need any sort of help, let me know. Otherwise, best of luck with this venture, I will be keeping a close eye on it. If you have a Facebook account please let me know what it is so I can get the word out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will surprise you. There are healthy populations of oysters and they are being brought to market. The film will be airing in October on PBS in Virginia.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your offer to help.

I have had amazing support for this project. Everyone including the watermen and folks interested in cleaning up the bay have been great to work with. We are looking to do a Kickstarter campaign to help raise funds mid-July to mid-August. The film will be available on DVD after it airs on PBS in Richmond and Tidewater.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will do gln - there is a Facebook page for the film

The facebook page for the film is : Breathing Life into the Chesapeake: of Oysters, Boats, and Men.
Please like us and spread the word to your friends.........Dave

·
Registered
370 Posts
If this film is about the "recovery of the bay in 2013" why does you facebook show a picture of a menhaden reduction boat? I am interested to see this film because this is the first I have heard that the bay recovered in 2013. I remember last year the state governer in Maryland declaired the blue crabs have recovered and this year many would argue that point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts