Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just wanted to give a short report was hunting were i saw a nine the other evening and as things were winding down after only seeing deer way out of range i catch a glimpse of some movement and notice a good size doe headed my way. the boss at work wanted some meat so.. i let her have it. i have never saw one drop with a bow shot without even taking a step. i hit it in the neck and she dropped down and there was no getting up. i climbed down after seeing her try to get up unsuccefully two times and i new she couldnt run off and put her out.. if i get a chance i ll post a pic. tom

·
Registered
692 Posts
Raprun, It was a simple question, no need to get your shorts up in a knot. Myself, I can't make the neck shot with a bow, won't even try. I'm afraid I'd miss the spine. You see, unlike you, it matters to me. T.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Raprunner, I agree, the point is that he got the deer. Congrats are in order, whether he meant to make the neck shot or not. I had a similar situation this year when shot a doe with my bow. I aimed for the vitals from 15 yards, she heard the shot release and moved/squatted. It hit high, in her spine, and her back end was paralyzed. I felt horrible, she was down but still dragging herself slowly with her front legs. She was out of my shooting lane and I had to quickly climb my stand down down and hit her again at close range to put her down. Stuff happens, and every kill is not going to be perfect, whether it be shooter error or otherwise.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
neck shots with a bow are pretty deadly for the most part if you hit em anywhere in the throat, juggler or neckbone. Generaly speaking, if you aim at the bottom of the white diamond underneath the chin it will give you an excellent target .If you miss those vitals the deer will live. I've never shot one there that didn't drop in their footsteps. If thats the only shot you had and you really needed deer meat than go for it. Know your bow and knock em down. Congrats on not ruining any meat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts