Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas, as a relative novice to bowhunting, I have been debating back and forth with myself as to whether a bigger deer will always rub on a bigger tree. I don't have enough experience, or know enough to be able to tell myself. I am also trying to figure out what the deal is with the timing of the rubs and scrapes. In one area, I have noticed that the bucks are rubbing on trees first, yet in other areas I have found that they have scraped first. Anyone have any insight as to why this is? Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
My experience tells me that big deer will rub large and small trees but little bucks can't do much damage to big trees. I've seen them rub on existing rubs on big trees but they only seem to be putting a scent mark.
As far as scrapes to rubs timing, I've seen both in different phases as well but once a few does are in estrous the scrapes get little attention and rubs even less.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,064 Posts
From all my reading and studies I have this to offer,

Bucks have several different reasons for the tpes of rubs they make (1) A community pole rub, which should be near a main trail that multiple bucks use to deposit scent. (2) territory rubs used by a lone buck (3) the pre seasonal rubs that aid in removal of velvet and sparing practise.Rubs are generaly made thru out the year and scrapes are primarily used during the pre rut and rut stages and typically have a sole owner.

As far as does are concerned I have never heard of or seen a doe use a rub to catch a scent. Most does use the small broken branches that over hang a scrape to catch the scent of which buck is the owner.

Instead of noteing the diameter of the tree in which the buck rubed ( because a wallhanger and a spike can rub a 7" tree) check for the depth of the gouge and height also look for broken limbs above or behind this can tell you two things the body weight of the deer ( depth of gouge) and tines of the deer by height ofrub or broken limbs behind the rub.

Once again all uneducated guesses of a bowhunter. Hope this helps......Jason

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is just my opinion so here it goes. If you find a tree 6in in diameter it's a large buck, anything smaller could be either. In my area the buck to doe ratio is low so this may have something to do with what I find scouting. Some buck's in my area make mostly scrapes to find does that are ready. They seem to make rubs near their bedding area only. Then if you find a line of rub's near a heavy trail you dont find any scrapes. You usually will find his scrape near his bedding area. The larger nocturnal buck's like for the doe's to come to them, they don't bed very far from each other so the doe's know where they are. I'm not sure if this is just my area, but these deer have a history of this behavior.

Just my opinion,

BILL

·
Registered
931 Posts
I think that the height of a rub is a more reliable factor when determining size of deer that made them. Diameter can be important too, but keep in mind that mature deer can rub small trees. Do larger deer prefer larger trees which provide more resistance when rubbing? probably, maybe... it may depend on the individual animal. Bucks are unique just like people in many ways.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.