Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog keeps cutting her feet on oyster shells in the marsh. Has anybody bought the boots that goes on their feet. Any information will be helpful

·
Registered
401 Posts
We have a little Jack Russel/Beagle that we adopted who was shot prior to us getting her. We have to put a boot on her left rear paw whenever she's going to be walking on hard surfaces because when she walks she tends to slide her foot (knuckles down first). Her's work pretty well. You have to really strap them on kind of snug or they will slide off when she gets into running in grass and weeds. The inside is fleece and there is like a cuff that comes out the top that can snag on some things, but really they're not big deal. Now as far as using them in the water, I have no experience with that. I will try to find the name of them for you.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Bought a pair several years ago for my lab , area we hunted was very rocky and she'd get cuts from the barnacles. Could never get them to stay on , she didn't exactly like them either.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A friend of mine had a lab that had tender feet. He always had to put the booties on. The key is to tape them over the velcro. You'll lose one here and there, but it's much cheaper than the vet bill for an infected foot or a hunt without being able to see your dog retrieve a pretty greenhead! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I was thinking of getin a pair for my two hounds. They hate the non skid deck on my boat, their always sliding around
Taylor

·
Registered
68 Posts
I used boots on my labs in South Texas and Louisiana for the same reason as well as chasing chuckker, quail, pheasant.....Note to self - tape the boots on. My dogs hated them and I can only assume because they don't get the same grip/traction with their pads, claws, webbed feet, etc. Ended up hunting shorter periods and letting their feet recover in between hunts. Here I am constantly checking their pads. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I read in an upland magazine once to use bicycle tire innertubes. Cut to size, tape them on and carry spares. Cheaper than dog boots.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts