Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went deep dropping yesterday. The dogfish were terrible. We fished all over north of the canyon, south of the canyon, 200' deep to over 600' deep. Probably caught several hundred doggies. We hit about a half dozen wrecks... if you didnt catch a dog, you were snagged up on their eggs. We fished over several different types of bottom and places I know there at least used to be tiles and sea bass.... doggies as soon as you drop. We did manage a small catch of sea bass, a couple of tiles, and one 15# wreckfish, but not all all worth it for the amount of dogfish that had to be caught to catch the targetted species. Our ratio was probably over 50:1 on dogfish to tiles/seabass. Even in 600' of water we'd hook up on dogs as soon as the bait hit bottom and several more dogs would follow the hooked fish up- from 600 feet! It was the worst I have ever seen it in the 15 years I have been bottom fishing. I would guess that the dogfish have to be eating all the baitfish and juvenile fish everywhere out there. Something needs to be done with this problem. The government set out to protect these pests a few years back. I have no idea why they would let these things come back like this. They have to be just destroying the populations of groundfish.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I've never seen so many. Took the fun out of crankin. When the largest portion of these devils move out of here after spawning I can only hope they never come back...... but next spring you can bet that taxes and dogs will be back. You'll be draggin for top-water critters soon and won't have to fool with the dam things.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
The guys from up north use big diamond jigs to catch sea bass when the doggies are thivk. I don't thinkthe dogs will eat a jig as quick as they will your bait.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
We used to get the doggies when we were jigging for cod out of RI Diamond jigs and soft plastic shrimp on the dropper loops. Still dogfish, no way to avoid the danged things.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I hear they are good eating. I know I'll never release another one.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Capt.jakeg wrote "I have no idea why they would let these things come back like this. They have to be just destroying the populations of groundfish.".............."THEY" are the same dumbasses that did not open the EEZ to Striper fishing........did you really expect that crowd to be capable of making an intelligent decision.
Not only are the Dogsharks working on ground fish populations....they ain't doing the Spot,Croakers and Grey Trout populations any favors either.

"We're here from the government and we're here to help ya"................yaaaa right

·
Registered
9,443 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its not a shift in position. If they are out there destroying the populations of everything else, why would wanting them thinned out be against conservation? There are evidently plenty of doggies to go around. Cato, I hate to say it but I think we agree on this one.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I gillnetted for them for quite a few years....and made a good living at it.
In all the years I did it I saw no decline in my catchs...........of all the other species that could have probaly stood more management...they choose to completely should down the Dogshark fishery .I just could not hoist it aboard.
That is when I bowed out of the commecial gillnetting.......fore I figured if that was the best they could do ..that it was a shame
Opening up the Dogshark fishery helped take ALOT of pressure off of other species

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
I cooked one up last year for the first time and it tasted like sh$%#@!!. Never again .. They say the only thing there good for is to use their heads for catchin bigger sharks. They're about as useful as those pesky oyster toads.

·
Registered
956 Posts
What marine biologists say about the dogs.

Conservation
Spiny dogfish are slow to mature and must be managed carefully. This species is extremely vulnerable to overfishing and are currently on the brink of collapse. They have a long gestation period, produce small litters of pups, and are slow growing. Commercial fishermen target the mature females because they grow to larger sizes than males. Females don't reach sexual maturity until 12 years of age, giving birth to approximately 6 pups after a 2-year gestation period. The dogfish fishery increased dramatically in the U.S. during the 1990s, resulting in a 75% reduction in mature females, leading to record low numbers of pups over the past seven years.

In 2001, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) voted to extend an emergency action that closes state waters to fishing for the vulnerable spiny dogfish. This was in response to heavy fishing that devastated dogfish populations during the 1990s. In late 2000, a fishery management plan for the spiny dogfish began to be developed, followed by its approval in November 2002. Federal and state recovery plans are currently in place but continually challenged. In mid 2003, the ASMFC held a vote on a motion to lower the spiny dogfish quota to a level supported by scientific data. However, this motion fails to achieve the required two-thirds majority. The National Marine Fisheries Service, with new stock assessment data predicting the collapse of the spiny dogfish population, closed federal waters to dogfish fishing in July 2003.

The National Marine Fisheries Service currently regulates shark fisheries, including the spiny dogfish, in federal waters; setting forth closures when quotas are reached for each shark species group (large coastal sharks, small coastal sharks, and pelagic sharks).

The spiny dogfish is considered as "Lower Risk" but "Near Threatened" by the World Conservation Union (IUCN

·
Registered
353 Posts
World Conservation Union is syonymous with Bleeding Hearts which is synoymous with Tree Huggers which is synoymous with PETA...............yeaa I'm sure their data is right on the money

The g-men encouraged us to fish for them......said they were a "Under Utilized Species"...then after getting in the groove of making some money on them they snatched the rug out from under us in the HOLY name of conservation.
That is when my faith in the NMFS making smart decisions was lost.
That was about as assinine a call as you could get

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Anybody tried south for deep dropping yet?? I wonder if the migration is all the way up and down the coast. I have some frineds going to check it out today. Hopefully there will be some good reports.

Caton: What happened to your boat the other day??? You back up and running yet????

·
Registered
353 Posts
It was my last trip for the season and we had just caught 30 Stripers jigging and we were on our way uo to where you were and blew the fuel pump.......ohh well you could not have picked a better day to brake down.
I'm on my way out the door to meet with the mechanic and see if we can get it fixed today........wish I had some more trips...I feel your gonna be catching them for another 2 weeks anyway

·
Registered
416 Posts
If the Dogfish is endangered then the stripers must be on the near extinction list! We caught them yesterday out to 270 fathoms

·
Registered
459 Posts
Dropped out of HI last week, hit the Empire Gem, 66fthm grouper hole, 40 foot lump, and a few other places. I think we only caught 1 or 2 dogs, but the sand tigers were on the 40 foot lump. Pulling up 100lb plus sharks from 32 fthms puts a real strain on the arms.

The dogs were crazy thick on Sat. out of VA. Every drop dogs. We fished from just north of the cigar and end up on the south side of the canyon trying to get away from them. I started out with a 3 hook rig and had every hook filled with dogs. Changed to a 2 hook rig. Did not matter what bait they ate everything, squid, mullet, bluefish, and mackeral.

All the BSB and Tiles we brought up were nicked up from dog bites.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts