Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it some ahole always has to run deer dogs during bow season.My brother was hunting Sat AM and at the crack of dawn some hounds came in the area and stayed there running all AM.He was pissed trying to still hunt and listening to dogs.I told him he should had slipped over to the dogs and maybe got a shot.
I have killed two before that dogs were running bow hunting.
We think it will spook the woods and make deer not move as much except the deer that they're after.
What ya think?

·
Registered
887 Posts
I went into my honey hole to find that the neighbors kid went in there and tied surveyors tape on trees all over the place the day before the season. He said he was marking deer trails and fox holes. I don't get it. I made it clear to them to stay out of there and I pulled down all the ribbons. In the evening I was hunting and a friend of a friend and his son, came down to the pond 30 min. before dark and fished for 20 minutes, slamming car doors, talking, screaming, sliding tackle boxes etc. I was across the pond inside the woods in my stand. They ask me why I am not a people person. ?! [shy]

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hey guys, if people visiting your hunting area is the norm the deer will get used to it. I've shot deer at my dads place not 100 yards from where he was weedeating and that is the norm there. My father is always outside on his tractor or using his chainsaw and the deer in the area seem to have accepted this and move in there normal patterns skirting his noise, and I use this to my advantage most of the time. They keep their attention on his noise and walk into my lap most days. It's something we all have to accepts for the most part, I too hated to hear noise while on stand and years ago it didn't happen too often but now it's common place to sit in your stand and hear peoples heatpumps kick on and off and have cars zooom by. Just add the noise factor into your scouting trip info log and keep hunting.
Happiness is a gut pile :)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
We heard dogs running hard this afternoon just before deer came to the plot we were sitting on. This time of year when the nights start getting cool its gonna happen. I too run hounds during the firearms season so maybe I can deal with it better than those that don't.

DEAN

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't get me wrong.I have eight deer beagles and I love to hear the dogs running more than killing a deer of course unless it's a trophy buck.[grin]
But when I'm in my own world in a tree bow hunting it is not the time to be hearing dogs run.
Mine won't be in the woods till gun season.
The last week of gun season my dogs are just getting right.I would have to run mine all bow and black powder to even get close to getting them in shape.
Next time I hear some near by running in circles bow hunting I'm going to slip in on em and shoot.[grin]

Matt,I'm only going to shoot the ones that look like coyotes.

·
Registered
117 Posts
HEY,HEY,HEY NOW.......EASY....EASY.....SOME OF US HAVE THOUSANDS INVESTED AND ARE A LITTLE SENSITIVE!(EVEN THOUGH I KNOW YOUR JOKING!?....RIGHT?HAHAHA)

·
Registered
339 Posts
[Q]hillbilly Jr originally wrote:
I have found a new place to hunt and have a little DOG problem. I have tried to talk to the owner of the Pain in my hunting ass I to have problem shooting a DOG (but a cat is fair game). These people seem to think that even though it is not there property that the dogs should not be on the leash or pinned. I have told the man that owns the property and he in turn informed the people that own the dogs, that dogs and BOW hunting do not mix. I will put a carborn hunter with a thundehead in one of them Friday if I see them with NO REMORSE. If you take the time to tell someone that you are hunting and please contain your dogs or cats and they don't they would be SOL.
[/Q]
Hey now, everybody ought to cool their jets about this dog shooting thing. I don't like free ranging dogs anymore than the next guy; however, to get on here and start talking about shooting someones dogs is getting a little out of hand. We alraedy have people that think hunters are meat hungry savages (PETA for instance) and when we as outdoorsman start making comments such as: "I will put a carborn hunter with a thundehead in one of them Friday if I see them with NO REMORSE" is out and out STUPID. Come on Hillbilly, Jr, what are you thinking? I would like to add that if I were in your shoes I'd be a little more careful what you say and post on a fairly public board---never know who is reading what you write. Keep on fueling the fire for the "anti's" that is what we really need!!!!![sad]

Gentlemen, if I am out of line here please say so. Again I emphasize that I don't like having free roaming dogs ruining my hunts but to start shooting dogs and cats----well I just don't know about that one.

Regards and Good Hunting, even to those here whose ethics have gone awry.

Rapprunner

·
Registered
628 Posts
As has been said before every year. If my dog got loose and somebody shot him. I probably would't hesitate to shoot back. I have had dogs come through while I am bow hunting before, I sat quite and waited for them to leave. They did and out came the deer. Don't be stupid, unless you really are and in that case get out the woods!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I AGREE WITH BIG CAT.........and furthermore,usually the people that shoot dogs,cats,*****,-so on and so forth are the ones that arent to successfull with the intended target anyways!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Let me get this right. You are hunting on someone elses property and are gonna shoot a dog that belongs to them. I guess you don't like that peice of property.

DEAN

·
Registered
339 Posts
[Q]hillbilly Jr originally wrote:
I have found a new place to hunt and have a little DOG problem. I have tried to talk to the owner of the Pain in my hunting ass I to have problem shooting a DOG (but a cat is fair game). These people seem to think that even though it is not there property that the dogs should not be on the leash or pinned. I have told the man that owns the property and he in turn informed the people that own the dogs, that dogs and BOW hunting do not mix. I will put a carborn hunter with a thundehead in one of them Friday if I see them with NO REMORSE. If you take the time to tell someone that you are hunting and please contain your dogs or cats and they don't they would be SOL.
[/Q]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brandon,
Hillbilly Jr has edited the original post, but I quote him here. Rapprunner
[/Q]

·
Registered
8 Posts
several years ago we had dogs get to fighting in the pen and had to seperate them. We left on young male out cause he got wipped pretty bad. Bow season was in and we were trying to get a crop in and didn't put the dog up(very nice dog from good stock). I was backing a peanut trailer to the dryer and found him dead with the tell-tell x mark behind the shoulder. This is a small farming community that everyone knows everyone. The local hunt club is made up of local land owners and residents. A man from out of town had permission to hunt 50 acres in the middle of 10,000. He was not from around here and didn't understand how most of us feel. I love to bow, muzzle loader, still, and dog hunt. I have had tons of deer turned off of me by dogs, trucks, and other hunters. Thats hunting!! Over the years i have had nice broke dogs come up missing(squirrel dogs, rabbit dogs, and deer dogs. Some one that would take or kill someones dog has no business hunting. This might be why it is hard for strangers to get permission to hunt private land or join local hunt clubs.

·
Registered
705 Posts
There was a message posted on the Freshwater Fishing board that related to this post, and in particular the message posted by hillbilly, jr.. I posted the following reply before I had read this board:

"I don't necessarily agree with his method, but I agree with the principle that the dog should not be roaming free on someone else's property, especially after the dog owner was informed about the hunting activities.

I had a similar situation many years ago, while trapping nuisance raccoons on a friends property. The raccoons were getting into the friends attic, and in return for getting rid of them, I was given permission to trap muskrats on the property. (It was water front property). I did a lot of trapping back then.

There was a neighbor who had a dog that roamed the neighborhood, and was a nuisance, mostly to the trash cans in the area. The dog started to steal my muskrat catches, trap and all. The friend told his neighbor that I was trapping there & to please keep the dog on his own property. The neighbor said the dog never left the property, so it wasn't his problem.

The dog got his head into one of my body grip traps that was set for the raccoons, and died. The trap was legally set in a marshy area, and the dog got to the trap because the water had froze over. The trap had been there for a few weeks, but the area was very muddy, so the dog didn't venture there until it froze over.

The dog owner of course, wanted to call the police & raised a stink with my friend. He didn't call the cops however.

I talked to one of the local DNR officers about the situation a few days later, on another property that I was trapping, and he told me that he shoots free roaming dogs, and there are leash laws in my state. I also talked to a friend who was a county police officer, and he basically told me the same thing as the DNR officer.

What had happened was unintentional and unfortunate, but the dog owner had a responsibility to keep the dog on his property, and he ignored the notice that I was trapping on my friends property. The dog that never left his property, left it one time too many.

I can see the guys point about the dog, but he should probably talk to a DNR or local police officer about the problem before he shoots the dog."

After reading the other posts here's the rest of my 2 cents.

Dogs will go where they are trained to go, especially hunting dogs, and non-hunting types will just follow their nose. The owner of such dogs are the responsible party, and should be held accountable for the dogs whereabouts. If a property owner gives permission to someone to hunt, and someone else's dogs are roaming that property, and the dog's owner won't take appropriate action to keep the dogs away, then some other solution has to be found. However, I wouldn't shoot someone's dog just because it passed thru where I was hunting. If it was a continuous problem, and talking with the dogs owner didn't get results, then I would get the law involved first.

In the many years that I hunted & trapped I've killed 2 dogs. I'm not proud of it! One attacked me while I was squirrel hunting, the other was caught in a trap, had no tags or collar & acted so vicious I couldn't get near to it to let it go. I've also released several from traps. The dog that attacked me also had no collar, and was running deer with several other stray dogs. It was half starved, and was probably abandoned by someone who just didn't or wouldn't take care of it.

All types of hunting activities have to share what property is available,and as has been said by rapprunner, there are anti's who want to stop us, ALL of us! Whenever a problem like this happens, don't act like a jerk! Pursue a solution in a calm & legal manner, even though the situation makes you mad. The dogs don't know any better, but their owners should.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You must not have much heart or sense to kill a dog. We have seen dogs from time to time in or woods and we let them run by. Dogs get loose once in a while and you deal with it!!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts