Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My log shows a new personal record for the number of rockfish caught during 2015. However the sizes were down. With high winds and rough seas for the foreseeable future, I've serviced and winterized the boat for the season. The freezer is full. I'll enjoy reading about the success of others by the fire for the remaining 2 weeks. Happy holidays and good luck to those still trying.

done.jpg

·
Registered
544 Posts
Noticed you have Penn down riggers like mine. Do you run them for your Rock trolling and if so, mind telling me what on and what your success rate has been. I have backed off this year and have opted to be lazy and bottom bounce instead. I miss have two more lines out but, it just wasn't paying off here recently to justify the trouble.
My method- I ran them mid ship on 3' reach. Weights are 8 lbs, release is 24 or so inches up from ball. I usually dragged gold cripple alewive spoons or buck tails or storm shads. I would then run two stern rods with bottom bouncers and two rods on my outriggers for a total of 6. Sometimes I toss a LT rod out with a storm with no added weight.

R

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Noticed you have Penn down riggers like mine. Do you run them for your Rock trolling and if so, mind telling me what on and what your success rate has been. I have backed off this year and have opted to be lazy and bottom bounce instead. I miss have two more lines out but, it just wasn't paying off here recently to justify the trouble.
My method- I ran them mid ship on 3' reach. Weights are 8 lbs, release is 24 or so inches up from ball. I usually dragged gold cripple alewive spoons or buck tails or storm shads. I would then run two stern rods with bottom bouncers and two rods on my outriggers for a total of 6. Sometimes I toss a LT rod out with a storm with no added weight.

R
Using crippled alewive spoons, bucktails and storm shads shads are a great way to go. I like your whole set up!!!!

While fishing for rockfish with the downrigger this fall, I had a lot of success with a 2 oz. Hyper Striper with white hair. I also added either a piece of Gulp to the lure or a live bull minnow (Mummichog). I had some minnows in my holding pen bait cage left over from summer. I normally dropped the downrigger weight about 22 to 25 ft. down. I probably let out 10-20 yds. of line between the lure and downrigger weight. Plenty of rockfish were caught. Many were undersized but a few nice ones were in the mix.

I use a 12 lb. weight on my downrigger but I'm not sure if that is significant. The line from my rod goes to a Scotty clip which I have attached to the downrigger ball weight.

I also use a dummy line attached to the stern cleat on the other side of the boat. That way I have 2 deep lines closer to the boat (dummy line and downrigger line) in addition to all of my normal rod lines.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I gotcha! (Little Sundancer/Capt. Billy for you!) I usually run my down riggers on, and I mean, the bottom. So much so, I wear the rubber coating off them by the end of the season. I missed not having them last week though cause out north of the cut, I keep marking continuous suspended fish at 20' in 60-70fow and I liked being able to bring them up above suspended fish. You know, the whole controlled depth fishing thing.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I may drag them down for one or two more trips over the next couple weeks, just to keep my skills in check if nothing else.

MC

R

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great job -- but it can't be over! Don't speak of wind!

Looks fishable on Sunday, and I need to try jigging if I can get out there on my little 18'.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts