Tidal Fish Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I did not live in this area or fish the Severn River in "the old days". I have been fishing there often for the past 15 years. So far this year I have fished in the Severn nearly 90 times, covering more than a dozen creeks and ponds. I have not caught a single yellow perch there this year, and typically catch fewer than five of them in a year from the Severn. I have heard stories about the construction of Rt 97 damaging their spawning grounds in the upper river. In any case, they are not readily caught in the Severn waters I fish.

I have also heard reports of huge pickerel in the Severn in the old days. Since 2006, when I have fished for pickerel frequently throughout the fall and winter each year, I have caught well over 1,000 pickerel. Three of them were 24", and last year I caught a personal best of 24.5". With the large increase in fishing pressure associated with winter-long pickerel tournaments by several organizations, I doubt that many pickerel longer than 24" will be caught in Severn this year or in the near future. I hope someone who is better at catching pickerel than me or who is really lucky can catch a giant Severn pickerel and provide the rest of us with some verifiable photos. Larger pickerel are caught in the Magothy and in freshwater ponds and rivers elsewhere.

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
One you put tournaments into the equation, that's the beginning of the end of a fishery. Tournament Fishermen are their own worst enemy and don't know it. The Severn River Inn is long gone Andy. Wuch you mean the old days? That was only 50 years ago . I was told stories about 36 in. Pickerel caught off piers in the 1940s by Captain Charlie Thomas who lived on the Seneca Creek in Baltimore County and worked with guys that lived on Bush River in the 40s that used to wade and dip soft crabs they could see waist deep from their waterfront properties . 30s & 40s are what I call the old days stories . Now they were some stories

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
It’s funny, I can’t pretend to be as old as you all and pretend to think I’m gonna make it as long either, and mean that with respect. I follow a lot of forums (don’t do Facebook) most I’m not a member but like reading reports. Seems waterfowl hunters sing the same song about the lack of waterfowl that winter in our region anymore. Many many theories, mainly weather and more food north, but maybe the same reason the fish and crabs are scarce is the same for the waterfowl. Only think that seems to be prolific in this region now is snakeheads and white tailed deer. Saw another one dead by East point mall in Dundalk and almost hit a huge 8pt on 702.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts