Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is that name of that Boat dealership that there have been a few threads about over the years located in richmond or ashland I think that Everyone says son't go to them.

What is the name of that place?

Thanks,

·
Registered
37 Posts
I gotta ask, what's the deal with Ed's? I've never dealt with them, but I noticed that they have good prices on motors and was considering going that way to re-power. If there is something not good, I'd rather find out now than later.

Thanks

·
Registered
861 Posts
According to the posts on this board (I don't have any firsthand experience) some people think there may be a little "bait and switch", and others say the after purchase service sucks. Hopefully someone with firsthand experience will post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
[Q]Slo-Pitch originally wrote:
What is that name of that Boat dealership that there have been a few threads about over the years located in richmond or ashland I think that Everyone says son't go to them.

Thanks,
[/Q]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought a 2000 Seapro from Ed's. Great price but service sucked. Sucked real bad as in filthy boat returned to me, bent prop, broken hatch locks that they say I caused.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
[Q]Slo-Pitch originally wrote:

Thanks,
[/Q]

I think that you are refering to Ed's I have not dealt with them so I can not say BUTTTTTTTTT I can tell you to stay away from "JAMES RIVER MARINE" talk about stinky service to keep it real short...they lost my boat after they took it to another shop, because they could not fix it,,,fortuniatly I found it before the other shop had it towed away...and that is just the begining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support Tidal Fish
684 Posts
Hey to Original et. al. -

You're talking about Ed's Marine is Ashland, VA. I guess I have to differ a bit in the responses. I brought the Sea Hunt Victory 22.5 from them this time last year. It has the recommended Yahama 4 Stroke 150 with stainless prop. It has dual batteries ( installed by me ), 1 inch bronze thru hull with seperate live well and washdown flow and remote on/off installed by me ( see note below) - and lenco trim tabs (installed by me) and extra wide spread rodholders ( installed by me ). It has full canvas, including backdrop ( 1,000 extra), a spare tire for the trailer ( 175 extra) , VHF, GPS and Fish finder ( all installed by me and all anntennas furnished and installed by me.)

I saved a FULL $10,000 over the next closest offer for the EXACT same boat, getting best quotes from 5 dealers! That's on a 40K boat! Of course the service at the other dealers ( e.g. nice one in baltimore ) would have been great and they would have been happy to install whatever I wanted at a price. The people at Ed's ARE wierd, the salesman does drop you as soon as you drive out, the kid " preping the boat doesn't know ******, and and the service can be very slow, and the people there often seem moody. On the other hand, I change my own oil, plugs, filters, install my own accessories. A new Yahama 4 stroke comes with a complete warranty. An extended warranty can be brought for a 5 year period. Remember, though, the warranty is really only for big stuff, head, shaft, gears, ECM, etc. and rarely is required on a Yamaha. If so, go directly to Yamha, skip Ed's except to have a Yam. Rep. meet you there in the rare case of a major problem.

I hope that gives you a better picture.

Richie

AND....

If you can'nt do that stuff, come fishing with me and split expenses. I'm putting together a group of experienced fishermen to hook up with - the philosophy being that all day on the bay in one of these fuel efficienct, quiet boats for about 75 bucks apiece, or 50 a piece with 3 of us, sure as heck beats 600 a day on a charter and holding a group of six together, getting them up at 4 am, and doing what some charter capt. wants and then going in.

Note:
[a common problem as Sea Hunt put a vinyl through hull which cannot be reached to turn on and off and runs all water through the bilge pump and its impellers meaning no water pressure at the wash down and no way to open and close without pulling the boat - see Sea Hunt owners site][smile]

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Been a customer of Ed's for awhile.. Get what you want and RUN !!!!!!!!!!! Great prices, People and service SUCK !!!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I bought a 15 Yam there 2 years ago. No other dealers came close to Ed's good price. I even went to a local dealer and told him Ed's price, saying if he'd come close I'd buy local. He said the Ed's price was lower than his dealer cost as Ed buys so many motors from Yam Ed's get "less" than dealer price. I've seen used 15s for sale for more than I paid new. I never intended to use them for service. make a buy and get your service somplace else.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I bought a 15 Yam there 2 years ago. No other dealers came close to Ed's good price. I even went to a local dealer and told him Ed's price, saying if he'd come close I'd buy local. He said the Ed's price was lower than his dealer cost as Ed buys so many motors from Yam Ed's get "less" than dealer price. I've seen used 15s for sale for more than I paid new. I never intended to use them for service. make a buy and get your service somplace else.

·
Registered
214 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't know about Ed's, but I bought my boat last year from Nautical Marine in Richmond. They have been great!!! They even helped me find a place to get the Suzuki serviced down here in Norfolk. I had a couple of things that had to get replaced, (one blew off due to my own stupidity) and they sent them to me with no shipping. Had the boat delivered on time, clean and ready to go.[smile][smile]

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I tried to buy a moter from them once and they tried to jack up the agreed price when I went to pick it up. Everything I've ever heard about them amounts to "customer be damned".

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support Tidal Fish
684 Posts
Guess you're talking about Ed's Marine and guess you mean outboard "motor". If so, was it a Yamaha? Jack up the price ?? Jack it up from a written price??? How to you "jack up a price??"

Guys, lets keep this in perspective: I went to Jett's Yahama Marine near Calio for a oil filter for my new Yahama. I even took the owners manual in, and showed it to them. I gave them the exact model number, etc. Their attitude was "of course we know what filter that is" and they grabbed a filter - and charged me 22 bucks for it. It was a Yamaha filter, and it was black, the correct color. However the size was wrong, it was for a 150 hp 4 stroke with carb's - a slightly different size and thread than the fuel injected 4 stroke filter. Anyhow, when I go to screw the Jett's filter on, it doesn't fit. I have to drive 50 miles to Newberg Marine, near the Nice Bridge ( or 110 miles to Jetts for 8 bucks).
I finish the oil change the next day. (Newberg does give me the correct filter for 14 bucks - and politely explain that the other dealer make a common mistake.) Newberg, by the way, is very good and helpful on parts. So: I'll be the first to jump on Ed's, but like I said in the previous posting, if you know what you're doing, the Yamaha price at "Ed's" can't be beat.
tight lines,
Captrichie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts