Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some Beach!

I can be dumb. I went out to wash the boat this a.m.. I grabbed the bucket outta the closet, got some soap, etc. I started washing the roof...hmm...this dirt ain't all washin' off, the roof still looks at little gray. I'll let it dry and see what it looks like. The boat starts drying and after a few minutes I look down onto the deck:

ACKKKKK!:eek2:

The whole boat has turned gray! The Pic is of the engine cover, I had the battery cover on top of it (that is the semi-white area on top). I tried everything to get the carp off, the only thing that was working was one of the scotchbrites. I wasn't feeling good about this. After a short time my Bud, Sasquatch comes over. He said something was eatin' into the wax.

I had grabbed the bucket that SWMBO did the kitchen floors with yesterday. Apparently, there was some sorta wax stripper in the floor cleaner she used. There was enough residual junk left in the dry bucket to destroy the wax on the boat.

I did what Sasquatch recommended. I tried some boat restorin' wax (I think it has a little rubbin' compound in it). See the upper right hand portion in the Pic below. It worked. At least it is fixable. But, I know what I'm doing for the next buncha days. I can finally justify the cost of one of them electric buffin' machines. But that quart of wax ain't gonna cut it. Anyone know where I can buy the junk by the 55 gallon drum, and buffin' wheels by the gross?:helpsmilie:

Wax on, wax off my brothers,
Jim

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
The sad thing is, if you had left some residual boat waxing stuff in the bucket and it had messed up the kitchen floor, you would have been cleaning that up too! :nono:

That's a shame, but hey, I bet you won't be grabbing the bucket out of the closet anymore to boat use. Time to buy a boat bucket! Live and learn!

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
I must be from a diff gen.

What you did was a mistake. We all make 'em.

Putting it on the web for the whole world to see, that's dumb.

·
Registered
241 Posts
This is why the wifey's cleaning **** and buckets are on one side of the garage and my car/boat cleaning stuff and bucket are on the other side.

·
Premium Member
26,133 Posts
I know a guy who used an empty 5 gallon chum bucket as a boat wash bucket.It looked clean-what a mess that was.Lucky for me (I mean some guy):pp was able to scrub the stinking oily mess off. Skip

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dumb.dumb...dumb!

Unc...Yes, I'm lucky that the kitchen floor ain't messed up. I learned a lesson.:wacko:

Big Will...Thanks for the comments..I feel as bright as a 5 watt light bulb already. Posting it on TF (yes, I hate posting my own stupidity), I was trying to save another TF'er from this plague upon his boat.:eek:

Erik...Thanks for the advise after I posted. If you had showed me Pics of your screw up, this would not have happened to me.:clapping2:

Bimini...Are you serious? Acetone will "wipe on, wipe off"? If so, where do I get it? how do I apply it..etc, etc..?:helpsmilie:

Skip...Maybe I have to try what you did. Maybe you catch so many feesh 'cause your boat leaves a chum smell/trail in the water? I didn't smell when I was on your boat, was it because all them pinetree air fresheners you have hanging from your rearview mirror?:rolleyes:

Thank y'all,
Jim

·
Registered
934 Posts
Did you do any bottom paint work - That happened to me one year. The dust from the bottom paint sanding settled on deck.... I did not wash it off after sanding and payed the price for sure..
-

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Russ...OK,,, I will still wax, but does acetone do the wipe on/wipe off stuff? That way I'm not running the dang buffer 2x over the boat?

Crow...thanks for the feelings. Yes, "It sucks to be me" right about now.

Scorch....this carpola put streaks into my freshly painted bottom (the boat)....argh

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
acetone can be bought at any hardware store...might want to try on and off and then re-wax...on and off is an acidic cleaner that removes everything I had to remove...just protect the trailer with a thin plastic drop cloth and hose away the drippings immediately...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Careful with the acetone, do a small test area, to see if it will melt your gelcoat, and streak it ?
I'd stay with the compounding first, but if you only removed the wax, it shouldn't be too bad to compound, and re-wax it.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Spray on pool cleaner works also. Will try to get a name tomorrow. Lowes had it. They advertise that it will clean the chalk off plastic lawn furniture.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would stay away from acetone at first. Soft scrub, or some other type soapy-mild abrasive will probably do it. Acetone is nasty, dangerous, bad for you, hell to work with in the hot sun, and , does stand a chance of eating into gel coat.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
I would give these products a shot. They are effective. They work well on rust stains, leaf stains, etc; Between the two of them they should solve the problem. Good Luck.

Dennis:))

·
Registered
442 Posts
you are better to just start from scratch. Use greased lightening from Home Depot, spray on wipe around and wash off, that will get ALL the old wax and dirt off, you will have a nice clean boat..........Then start applying your waxes.

·
Registered
441 Posts
acetone

Stinkbait,
you can get it at any boating store or probably paint store. Ever been to a boat show? next time look around when they are setting up. all the boat cleaners will have some handy. makes the boat clean as new. I was told by a boat manufacturer that it wont harm the mold side of the finish (the part up against the mold because of the gelcoat) now it will dull the finish of the part that is not against the mold (like the inside of the hull), but thats not to shiny anyway. still, try a small area first.

Bill

Bimini Marine (manufacturer)used it on some stubborn stains b4 the annapolis boat show on my boat, no problems here.

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Aye carumba...I just experienced physical pain after reading this first post in this thread...If Hallmark made a card for occssions like this I'd send it to you Stink...

That is a large caliber bad deal...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts