Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched at Rocky Point for the first time ever around 2:00 and had no idea where to fish. Saw ZAM at the dock pulling out and his reaction seemed like a tough morning which didn't give me confidence whatsoever. Put out a Stretch trolling spread and trolled the channel edges bouncing bottom for hours but nothiing. Decided to pull the lines and look around at nearby structure. Found some docks in 8-12 feet of water that were holding fish. Caught every bit of a hundred fish ranging from 8 -24'' and saw BUBBA lurking in the lights but he wasn't having any of my cripple herring. There was one giant and two others that were well into the 30'' range. Never got a hook into them because a storm rolled in and ruined the feeding frenzy the perch were having on the surface with the bugs which were attracted by the lights. Headed back in around 7:30 and saw TFer Riverman (Dave) about to launch. Told him about the lights and handed over a few cripple herrings so they could have some fun. Hope they got into them like I did. If you want a clear idea of what a school of perch and rock up to 24'' look like on a lowrance meter here it is:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Those white perch always seems to have eyes bigger than their stomach.

Great report thanks.

-JB

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Nice report. I haven't caught a yellow perch in years, thanks for posting the pic. How did the Calcutta do?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice mixed bag-0-feesh! The yellow perch is awesome. Care to tell us where the lights are located?
Maybe after im done catching BUBBA tomorrow:D Any docks with bright lights should be holding bait. I checked the area for fish during daylight and only caught tiny rock and some perch. The meter had scattered marks. I looked up and saw all the lights that would be coming on after dark and came back to find the meter blown up. The more lights the better;-) Cripple herring caught everything and bkd with a gummy minnow dropper caught most of the larger rock (18-24'').

·
Registered
687 Posts
I musta just missed you guys at the ramp.

Not exactly sure what time I got there but it had to be right near 2:00.

I saw working birds right away after going through the cut but unfortunately i had no rods on board today.

Left them home on purpose cause i took a couple out for a test ride today. (Boats for sale)

Really wished i would have at least put a couple in the truck though and headed back out after dropping them off ........ but had a party to go to this evening and i know that would have pissed off my GF. It was a nice afternoon out there though!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Sounds like a blast, thanks for the report.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
WTG!! You should of tried that area a few weeks ago, the fishing was a lot better then..This is the time of year when the Yellow perch fishing gets good around here. Back when I kept fish I would get a limit of them in the evening then target Rock as the sun was setting

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice report. I haven't caught a yellow perch in years, thanks for posting the pic. How did the Calcutta do?
Paul, the calcutta is a great reel.:clapping2: Thats not a calcutta in the picture. That is an Ocean Master 4000 combo from bass pro. I use those combos for trolling crankbaits- great setup.

I felt the calcutta was alittle overkill for the fish I was catching yesterday. Especially on a med-heavy rod. Most fish were in the 15-18'' range. I switched it up to a 6'6'' Gloomis medium action with a shimano sahara 2500 which was perfect w/ 10lb power pro using a 1-2oz cripple herring. If a fish even thought about hitting the lure he was hooked:D Between the gloomis and the light power pro you can feel everything.

Dave

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I musta just missed you guys at the ramp.

Not exactly sure what time I got there but it had to be right near 2:00.

I saw working birds right away after going through the cut but unfortunately i had no rods on board today.

Left them home on purpose cause i took a couple out for a test ride today. (Boats for sale)

Really wished i would have at least put a couple in the truck though and headed back out after dropping them off ........ but had a party to go to this evening and i know that would have pissed off my GF. It was a nice afternoon out there though!
I saw those birds too, just out of the cut but they were playing tricks. It seems one of them had a dead fish and the others were trying to pry it away.

Good luck selling your boat- I know its tough right now. I need a bigger one badly- being caught in that storm was a little sketchy.

Dave

·
Registered
687 Posts
What kinda boat you running spynet?

When i was at the ramp i saw a 19 foot grady adventurer and an aluminum boat with guys all decked out in camo.
Guess they were heading out for some duck hunting.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the grady had just launched as i was heading out and zam had just pulled his boat out. i was in a 17 foot bass tracker with 15 rods :)

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Excellent report! Glad to hear that the rivers are still holding fish. :yes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does the ramp at Rocky Point stay open 24hrs? I would like to keep fishing a little later at night be you have to be in at sunset at the Gunpowder ramp.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Its actually supposed to close at sunset also but from my experience they will leave the gate open if there is a trailer still on the lot.

I've pulled out after dark on a few occassions with no problems.

No lights at the ramp though and it gets pretty dark.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hey Dave,
Thanks for the heads up and selling me a couple lures Sat night
I usually never bring lures for the night bite since we always live-line (I know better now)
We couldnt hook into anything worth keeping but had a blast
Landed 60-70 small rock and perch (18.5 inches was the biggest- still fun)
Put out 3 rods with live bunks and had a nice fish hooked up for 3 seconds - hook just pulled free
Not sure if a big cat or your bubba, tide was poor with that NW breeze against it
I might head back this week sometime if the tide is right
Heads up if you leave your truck at Rocky Pt after dark- some A-hole pryed open the back window of my bed cap and stole my emrgency tool bag 3 weeks ago
Dont leave anything out that people can see, in this ecomomy theft is gonna get worse I imagine- still sux when it happens
Cya

1 - 20 of 22 Posts