Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our local tackle/bait shops have been taking a beating lately with the weather and economy.I stopped in today at a favorite shop and was the second customer- it was 2:00 in the afternoon :eek:.

Never hurts to buy a few 9'' shads or a jigging spoon.Most local stores will match any "big box" store prices on rods/reels.

This weekend (at least Saturday) looks bad so maybe in your travels stop in and spend a few dollars. Most offer gift slips :thumbup: - in case you want to do some real early holiday shopping.

Might be a good idea to buy the parachutes or umbrella rigs you'll need in late fall before they sell out.Some shops will not restock until spring.

Our local shops are getting hammered by higher BGE bills/raising bait costs and less customers.These shops often help out with local children's event and alot of the shops help out with Wish a Fish :clapping2:.

Think how big an inconvenience it would be if your favorite local shop closed up.I hope this does not come off as gloom/doom but when an owner sits there for 10 hours and only a few people stop in- his mind has to wonder about selling out.Most shops sit on good real estate locations - hate to see a 7-11 or Gas/Go in place of a great bait shop.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I also feel bad for the local buisnesses that are Slooooow right now. This is American Capitalism however and when things are rough or tight, there tight all the way around. When I need goods or service from X buisness, I go and spend at that buisness, if there prices are competitive. I cant however go to X buisness and spend money just to help X buisness out. Our family has to conserve our finances just like everyone else. I just hope the owners of these estabishments have "Saved for the Rainy Days".

·
Premium Member
26,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most have - trouble is it has been "rainy" for a long spell.Even on nice weekends- people are just not fishing like they used to.

Hardly anyone fishes in winter now - the huge TV rooms in the basement are too comfy :pp.

Growing up in Anne Arundel county- kids were always fishing/hunting.Now they get off the bus and disappear in the house to play video games.I used to ride a bike 4 miles to the baitshop after school :yes:.Bait shops have lost the younger generation and alot of old timers are dying off or can not fish much anymore.

I hear you on the sometimes higher lure prices but it often is only fifty cents or so.Some things are worth more then just dollars.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Heck, there aren't even that many shops around Baltimore. Bluefins and Fearl's are my local shops and both are established. But, honestly, I don't know how these folks make it. And it's very obvious to anyone that fishes regularly that many are finding other ways to spend their time. My part of the bay has been empty and the fishing has been decent. Not outstanding, not bad, just decent. Lots of sick fish, though. I am guessing in 5 or 6 years, we will be talking about how good the catfishing is in the upper bay.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Support of your local bait/tackle shops

I totally agree with suppporting your local bait/tackle shops for several reasons not posted as of yet:

1. The shops open up early (4:30-5:00AM) for OUR convenience. Try standing at the doors of a larger discount store at this time of the morning and you'll probably get questioned for loitering.
2. Ever ask an associate in these larger stores where the fish are biting? They'd probably direct you to the pet department.
3. Forget about asking a specific question or maybe just a recommendation. I have yet to leave a local shop with bad information or an answer like " I don't know, go to the customer service desk"
4. Local shop owners can also point you in the right direction once your out on the water, thus saving you big $$$$ on gas and time (a real commodity in this day and age).
5. As stated in a previous reply, these local tackle shops are very generous in giving back to the community and the fishing circles as we know them. Some even host their own fishing expos that we all look forward to in the slow winter months. Most participate as vendors and/or sponsors that we expect to see when we attend these shows.

In closing, my money has and will continue to be spent at the local tackle shops. Their owners are trying to make an honest living just like you and I. My hats off the these businesses and shop owners as we all try to tighten our belts during these economic challenging times. Remember, they could be like those Cadbury eggs, "when they're gone, they're gone".

Not a thought, just a sermon.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Tell ya what sailfish i live in de but iam headed to anapolis this week for work i just bought my first real boat 21'seapro cc iam working on repayin my pops for all the times he has takin me fishin. Ive never fished down that way mainly upper bay. Iam dieing to get down there this fall.that "what do you use "thread was right on the money. But if you can recommend somewhere down that way and maybe 5 lures etc.. I definitly need ill stop in and get stocked up.iam basicly starting from scratch.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Unfortunately, the nearest tackle shop to mee is Bass Pro. I really really don't like going there. Butt, when I am free to go goof off in a tackle shop, all the other one's have closed. GreenTops is prolly the best I've seen. Its an hour and a half drive to get there. It really sux to be living in Germantown where there are no tackle shops at all.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Skip. I totally agree with you. However, earlier this week I stopped at 2 of the local tackle shops that are on the east side of the bay bridge and one had very little inventory and the other one had converted a couple of their usual fishing racks to hunting stuff already.:mad:

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I was talking to the owner of my favorite local baitshop not more than a month ago- and the owner told me that he hadnt taken a paycheck in over a year. Things were that tight, and his business couldnt afford to pay him. Now- this is a shop that I have frequented for over 20 years, and my Grandfather shopped in exclusively in the 70s and 80s. It would absolutely be a tragedy if that shop were to go under. Every time I go in, I spend a few... even if they dont have exactly what I am looking for- I can always use a stillwater Smack-It!, or some 4/0 hooks...

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
--I also stopped at a LocalTackle ( SPORTING GOODS) store & had a Long Disscussion on this Matter with the Owner --We think of only the Fishing aspect of owning a store BUT

--Cold weather is also Hunting season --

--Selling Licences & checking in Game , Was Time Consuming & not a Profit Maker , so after requests for relief the world of Computers & Cell phones took Charge -

--No longer do we see Pickups with gun racks in the rear vision ,Faded & Worn Bumper Decals, Antlers & turkey Feathers , Smoke in the air or snuff releated items in a old bottle, Camoflage & Men/Gals waiting for friends to come & witness the "Big Prize"

--These "Hang Outs" bought amo., clothes, All the Hunting Goodies ya needed from "Joe the Sporting Goods Owner"---Foxworth the Hunter & Joe 6 or 12 pack was in his Domain the Parking lot Stage --No More --Another "OLE" Tradition has gone by the way side --No Bragging Here --Yeh

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
...if you can recommend somewhere down that way and maybe 5 lures etc.. I definitly need ill stop in and get stocked up.iam basicly starting from scratch.
You won't be far from "Marty's" in Edgewater. It's owned by Jim (aka stinkbait here on TF) and he's got lots of great lures and advice. Give him a call and he can tell you how to get there from Annapolis (410) 956-2238.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Seadog1, you will drive right by us on 50/301 before kent narrows. Take the Legion road exit to stop sign. Turn left, go over the overpass and turn right by the 7-11. We are on the left. We will spend all the time you want talking about the lures you need. I will be there building rods most of the day on Saturday.

Kevin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts