Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Just wanted to let my fellow TFers know that there is an option to repair the broken or fogged up glass on these double pane windows in your homes. You don't have to replace the entire widow, you can just have the glass replaced.

I purchased a house with these double pane vinyl windows already installed over 13 years ago. Today, the glass on a few of these windows have fogged up due to a bad seal between the 2 glass and 1 window the glass was broken due to my kids throwing toys around. I tried to look online to see if these types of windows can be repaired, and I found that everyone said no, they need to be replaced. I called up a window contractor and asked about the general warrantee information on any window and they told me that normally the previous owner who bought the windows will need to transfer the warrantee over to you. Since this never happened, even if there was a warrantee on my window, I could not use it. So with this info, I asked the contractor to come out to give me a quote on replacing these windows. I called a few others and got my quotes. It ranged from $1500 to $2100 to replace 3 sets of windows.

I tried to go to my local home improvement store and asked the window dept clerk about getting an estimate on replacing the 3 windows in my home. This person then told me in a very quite voice, that if it is just the glass you want to replace, you can call Fairfax Glass or another glass repair company and they can replace the glass for you instead of having to buy a whole new window. When they told me this my jaw just dropped. I then said to this person, non of the contractors that came out bothered to tell me that this was even an option. This person even said they are not suppose to tell me this either.

I called up Fairfax Glass and a few other glass companies. Fairfax Glass gave me the best price. So now they have measured my windows and will be back in a week to install the new glass.

Hope this helps you save some dollars so you can spend it on fishing gear instead.....:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
730 Posts
option#2 is look at the headliner(jamb) their will be a manufactures sticker with a series of codes take a picture of it and send to your local LUMBER YARD not a box store. This way they know what they are looking at and you get a new sash for about $60. Just did one for a women today that the person at the HD prodesk told her send had to buy a new window, Greg

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I have 2 that need to be resealed but the local hardware store closed. It's not a hard job except I can't figure out how the get the bay windows apart. No manufacturer info anywhere on the windows. Window people around here want me to buy a new bay window.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have replaced broken double pane windows using both procedures and found that it costs about the same to have a tech come in and replace the glass in the window as it costs to buy a new window.
My primary house has Anderson windows whose model is still being made. It costs about $250 for a complete window and about the same to have the glass replaced. I have used both procedures in different cases.
Last year I had a real challenge. The house in St. Michaels had a broken window but these are 6 pane double pane windows that are made for houses in historic areas. The sticker did not indicate the manufacturer but only the model code and manufacture date. It was a detective problem to find the manufacturer name and took 3 months to find and make a replacement. The replacement was about $250 to buy and I installed it myself.

A real nightmare was replacing a sliding glass door that was shattered by a rock from a lawnmower. The particular model was no longer in production and had to be special ordered. Of course, the first two that came in did not fit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts