Tidal Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last year I bought a used 2000 Scout 162 Sportfish. The boat and motor were generally sound, but they needed some repairs. I enjoyed using the boat last season. Several times during the summer, I found the non-power steering to be very stiff after launching. I was able to crank the wheel back and forth a few times and get it to loosen up. I would lubricate the polished rod on which the motor slides when I got home and get improved performance for several more trips.

When I had the boat winterized last Nov, the mechanic did a thorough lube job on the steering rods. I put the boat away under my deck (covered with two covers for protection).

Earlier this week, I moved the boat back up front to my garage. That was an adventure in itself because of the obstacle course created by several trees in the narrow area between the deck and the woods and presence of the septic drain line (I will not drive a car or truck over that line).

Once the boat was safely in my garage, I reached over to crank the motor to the side to allow some space to walk behind the boat. To my surprise, the steering would not budge. I tried to force the wheel to turn with some extra force, and I also held the motor itself and tried to get it to move. None of these efforts created any movement in the steering.

I should note that this boat comes with a tilt steering wheel. During the winter, the wheel was in the horizontal orientation to get a better fit for the cover. I moved the tilt switch so that the wheel is now in the mostly vertical position. I don't know if returning the wheel to the horizontal position will help.

Since then I have been traveling and did not have any time to play with the steering. I am looking for suggestions on how to loosen up the steering short of taking the boat to the shop and waiting for several weeks to get it back.

Thank you in advance.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.