Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

What a great weekend, put the boat out at 11:30 Saturday at Piney Point ran up to Stewarts pier trolled to VA side up to the rock pile and back to the red buoy marked a bunch of fish not a hit. Well i had everything i had out all colors double rigs and umbrella rigs and mojo's, i even tried putting 12 and 20 oz weights on the lines:confused:, I hope some one else had better luck then i did, well here is my question I normally do not run tandem rigs only because i ether make the lines to long and they get tied up or i just do not have the luck . Can some one please tell me the best way to rig a Tandem rig.:helpsmilie:

Thanks for the help i had a new guy on the boat Saturday and he had no expirence in trolling, so i would like to take him again to show him I know what i am doing.

·
Registered
633 Posts
3 way swivel. 4 feet of leader to the heavy lure, 8 feet to the light one. Lot's of variations/opinions, but that's about the norm.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Most guys rig the heavy lure with one arm length of leader and the lighter one with 2 arm lengths.

I like a 12-20 oz on the short and a 2 oz on the long leader.Never hurts to try a different color on each lure.

Somedays the fish just do not bite- no matter what you do.Keep trying and ask the guys at the ramp who caught fish- what they were using.Most will show/tell you :thumbup:.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I tie snap swivels to end of each leader. I attach them to the snap swivel on my main line. This makes it easy to switch up if you need to.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I use a spreader bar instead of three ways . I will take a picture and post it latter tonight when I get home .
Ok, please don't laugh at my drawing as I'm no evil dick :roflguy:. Capt Kyle & his brother introduced these spreader bars to me last spring. I never use three way swivels again. Tie your tandum leaders directly to the bar eye's. I run 20' on the lighter bait and 15' on the heavyer. The spreader keeps the bait swiming awesome and the never try to twist around each other. I know there is several ways to acheive this but this is what I have found to run the best for me . Hope this help's

·
Registered
112 Posts
6 feet to the shortie with a 9 ounce and 15 feet to the longer and lighter one up to half that of the short heavy one, like a 2 3 or a 4 is as far as i would go just go half weight as that of the short one, thats all. long one use a 6 inch short one go big like a 9 or 12 incher shad

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Water depths -- 25'+. I use a 3 way swivel, 1 armspread to the 24 oz cannonball. 3 - 4 armspreads to the lure. For a double lure, 1/2 the armspreads than the long line and tied to the same swivel. An armspread for me is just under 6'.
For fishing around rocky bottom or riprap type stuff, I like to increase the cannonball to 32+ oz and shorten the cannonball line to ~3' and the lure lines to 8-12'. This rig needs to be bounced along, heavier cannonball keeps the rig more vertical to reduce snagging.
Everything is tied -- the only snap swivel is the end of the rod line to the 3 way.
What ever works for the angler is #1 option. For example, I am the only one in our group that likes the 32+oz rig but it works well for me.
budc

·
Registered
80 Posts
I guess I do something a little different. I make up the two leaders with a swivel at each end to make set up faster. The big difference here is that I make my leaders about 1 foot difference in length to allow the two baits to appear to be together. I also don't net any fish. I make my leaders about 12' long and this allows me to control the fish on the leader while the fisherman walks foward on the boat. I make sure that once I have the leader, I have the fisherman loosen the drag one/half turn. This allows for the fish to run and not break off if I let loose of the leader. It works for me.
Along time ago I had an old Bay Captain tell me. "If you want to fish with your friends" call then on the phone. "If you want to fish with every boat around "Raise a net "
God bless Bill and Paula

·
Registered
112 Posts
how is it twisting up, do you mean the back lure is twisting up with the front lure? i have been pulling lots of tandemns and if you use a lure half that of the first lure weight and dito on the line you should not have any problems

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
It's called the "2x rule", heavy lure 2x heavier or more than lighter lure, lighter lure 2x leader length than heavy.

2oz lure/12 ft leader, with 4oz lure/6 ft leader; 3oz /1 arm length with 6oz/ 2 arm length; etc.

Modify as needed, the secret to not tangling is the weight difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts