Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a terrible experience with Doug Russell Marine recently and am just wondering if I'm the only one.

I had to re-power my boat and recently purchased two NEW Mercruiser 350s. At least that's what I paid for and was what I was told I was getting. Well, when they were delivered my mechanic noticed some rust on one of the motors that shouldn't have been there. So he decided to check the serial numbers on the motors with Mercury Marine. Turns out both motors were made in 1997. At least one of them was originally sold to Sea Ray where it had a major malfunction (valve train blew up). The motor was shipped back to Mecruiser where it was remanufactured and then sold to Doug Russell, who is now trying to pass it off to me as a NEW motor.

I've spent the last three days getting the run around from the guys up there. They have been totally unresponsive and are still trying to dodge the fact that they tried to sell me a used motor as new. So my advice to all is BEWARE!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Wow I was going to buy one of there new 4.3 engine
Nobody around here could come close to there price
I didn't want to buy a engine I have not see first
That one sell they lost
back to ebay

·
Registered
356 Posts
Jee, we need to check serial #s when we buy motors. Happened to a friend.
The thing is, it's EZ enuff to check! No lookee, no findee.
Mark

·
Registered
356 Posts
As an add, some motors have a plug, which is like the "black box".
You can plug into the port and download the running specs of the motor.
How long , how fast, RPM, blah blah blah. Compression...

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
SOunds like a Job for Consumer reports.... It would be nice to see these fellas under a bridge scrounging for food... Nothing worse than a Thief

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
while on topic, another to avoid is Blackbird Ind. They are outboard reman.Same story, repowered and ended up with two mismatched engines.They claimed I got what I sent them...until I confronted them with original serial numbers.One of the "new" also blew up after 60 hours. Quite a few have horror stories whith these guys. Unfortunately, I found out after the fact

·
Registered
9,016 Posts
while on topic, another to avoid is Blackbird Ind. They are outboard reman.Same story, repowered and ended up with two mismatched engines.They claimed I got what I sent them...until I confronted them with original serial numbers.One of the "new" also blew up after 60 hours. Quite a few have horror stories whith these guys. Unfortunately, I found out after the fact
Have read about some Horror stories with them myself!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've had a terrible experience with Doug Russell Marine recently and am just wondering if I'm the only one.

I had to re-power my boat and recently purchased two NEW Mercruiser 350s. At least that's what I paid for and was what I was told I was getting. Well, when they were delivered my mechanic noticed some rust on one of the motors that shouldn't have been there. So he decided to check the serial numbers on the motors with Mercury Marine. Turns out both motors were made in 1997. At least one of them was originally sold to Sea Ray where it had a major malfunction (valve train blew up). The motor was shipped back to Mecruiser where it was remanufactured and then sold to Doug Russell, who is now trying to pass it off to me as a NEW motor.

I've spent the last three days getting the run around from the guys up there. They have been totally unresponsive and are still trying to dodge the fact that they tried to sell me a used motor as new. So my advice to all is BEWARE!
Sure would like to hear how this turns out
I need a motor bad and they do have the best price
Is it hard to check the serial numbers
they are thousand less

·
Registered
67 Posts
If they knowingly sold the motors as new it is likely they have committed a criminal fraud and you may want to contact your attorney general. This may get them to resolve the issue rather than face criminal charges.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts