Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now the boat is on the hard and all the gear is off...I'm cleaning all the rods and straightening up tackle and I started thinking I want to run 2 clips on my down riggers next year.

The question is how do I attach a second clip about 10 feet up from the ball ( also, is that a good separation-10'?)? I want to be able to wind the 200 lb. Braid all the way up, so how do I attach the 2nd clip?

I was afraid to just tie a loop, as it would be a weak link in the line, with 8lbs. hanging below. Ideas? They are Penn 625's

·
Registered
734 Posts
You need a stacker release. It has 2 release clips tied to a snap. The snap goes on your D/R cable, then the one release is clipped to the cable at the depth desired, with the other release is used for your bait. Another way to get an extra bait in the water is to use a cheater. The cheater allows you to run 2 different depths off one rod. A cheater is simply a length of mono with a snap swivel on each end. The bait goes on 1 swivel, and the other swivel goes on the line of your reel going to the D/R release. What this will do is seek the deepest bow in the line to your D/R release. So if your ball is running 30 feet, the other bait will run about 15 feet. Once a fish takes a bait on the cheater, you have to reel like mad till the cheater rig bottoms out at the main bait. Here's a link to Cabelas and their Cannon releases. Click on model and you will see a stacker listed. Cabela's -- Cannon Releases

·
Registered
477 Posts
I did this once and seamed to work well
Take a length of mono that equals the depth you want the second bait at and tie on a carbiner to snap over the downrigger line then attach a release clip to that then tie the other end of the mono to the down rigger so it is out of the way and you are good to go

Another idea is like on the planer boards they use the line one the reel to set how far out the lure runs from the boat so you could do the same on the downrigger but each time the lure pops you would have to use another set of releases until you brought up the main ball and retreived the releases that were on it

JMHO

·
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Don't you have a diaper to change:D:D
Better enjoy the quiet while mommy and your little girl are still in the hospital...its about to change!

·
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reeltor: no, this is Pop Pop ( Jim) Yeah Jamie is definately busy( what sleep pattern?) I've got the idle time right now.

·
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ken: NOW I see what you mean. I'll look through you site and order some stuff, not just 10.00 worth of clips. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Quick and easy and they don't get gummed up with salt nor are they prone to sticking. When I get a chance I will add the missing pictures showing the clip attached to both the mono and cable. We use 200#PP on our down riggers and they hold nice and tight. Cheers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts