Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering trying a downrigger from time to time,mostly when the light jigging is slow.Do any of you guys use them and have good results? I see they can be bought for a couple hundred bucks but i wonder if they hold up at that price.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
I have Penn fathom masters and love them. I use them whenever I troll year round and catch just as much as the other rods. Plus it spreads your lines out better, you can control depth, fish lighter rods, and lines are close to the boat.

Highly recommend them

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have Penn fathom masters and love them. I use them whenever I troll year round and catch just as much as the other rods. Plus it spreads your lines out better, you can control depth, fish lighter rods, and lines are close to the boat.

Highly recommend them
where did you purchase them and how expensive.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
I have them but it is easier just to use trolling weights most the time. If you get them get Cannon Uni Trolls. They have expandable booms.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have a Cannon EZ troll, and it lives up to its name. Abput $170 I think new 2 years ago at a BPS in Florida, I bet local guys can get them for you though. Very liught, easy to install, strong, easy to use . Whatever you do dont spend to money for an electric one 40ft only is a few quick cranks. You will rarely get deeper then 50-70ft unless you are offshore.

Jim

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I have two downriggers and I love them, have caught lots of fish on them, but Greg is right, if you just put a pole holder pointed out to the side and use a heavy weight you can dot he same thing with less headache., much easier..but it is not as accurate...I would not trade my downriggers for anything but after a few hours of that noise sometimes I can't take it anymore!!!

For the boat you have and are looking at getting, you dont need anything as fancy as the fathom master, even though they are great downriggers, I run the canon easy troll and they work great for the boat I have and you are looking at...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I've had Cannon EZ or Uni Trolls for nearly 20 years and they still are fine. I've had to do a little maintenance on them but I love them. I never set them at more than 40 feet, and agree there's absolutely no reason to go fancier in the bay.

FF

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I have two downriggers and I love them, have caught lots of fish on them, but Greg is right, if you just put a pole holder pointed out to the side and use a heavy weight you can dot he same thing with less headache., much easier..but it is not as accurate...I would not trade my downriggers for anything but after a few hours of that noise sometimes I can't take it anymore!!!

For the boat you have and are looking at getting, you dont need anything as fancy as the fathom master, even though they are great downriggers, I run the canon easy troll and they work great for the boat I have and you are looking at...
Can't you switch the wire out to 130lb braid. That would cut down the noise.

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Each year you see more downriggers on the bay.I've been using them for 15 years and love them.

You can sometimes find used ones at the winter fishing flea markets- but get there early-they are gone quick.

Most local tackle shops sell dummy weights that are 5 to 10 lbs.You can rig up a "downrigger" very easily.Get 60 feet of parachute cord and a 10 lb weight.Let out your fishing line about 30 feet and tie a rubberband on it.Snap the rubberband into a snap and also snap the eye of the weight.Lower the weight down 30-60 feet of line and cleat it off.Reel in the fishing line until it is almost tight.

When a fish hits-the rubberband will break and then you pull up the weight :thumbup:.Not as fancy as a real downrigger but works just as well.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
We have the 4' booms. I bought them from a buddy. I saw them today at BPS. I think the Penns are $249 or $269. I do not know the length of the boom on those. I bought the 2' extensions directly from Penn. I think they were $60.00 ea. for the extensions. We have the rod holder base ( about$70.00) and put them in the 45 degree rod holder to angle them out. I also added the Penn rod holder to the side ( $49.00) They catch ALOT of fish! AND you get to fight the fish with no weight on it and on a lighter rod. So, some fun pullage!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts