Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tagging along on a boy scout overnight to Downs Park in AA County soon. I'm supposed to bring some fishing equipment. I think the plan is to fish off the pier. So what do I bring and what is my target species? I'm guessing I just bring some spinning rods and bottom rigs. We can probably get some bloodworms or nightcrawlers for bait, and just use standard bottom rigs. I would think perhaps catfish, white perch, and maybe the occasional spot, croaker, or rockfish would visit the area. Any chance we catch anything?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm tagging along on a boy scout overnight to Downs Park in AA County soon. I'm supposed to bring some fishing equipment. I think the plan is to fish off the pier. So what do I bring and what is my target species? I'm guessing I just bring some spinning rods and bottom rigs. We can probably get some bloodworms or nightcrawlers for bait, and just use standard bottom rigs. I would think perhaps catfish, white perch, and maybe the occasional spot, croaker, or rockfish would visit the area. Any chance we catch anything?

Thanks,
Mike
I think if you reach out to Fishbones on the way down they can give you the low down. However, I believe that catfish, large perch and stripers should be on the menu. I have been catching some spot but only recently. You may want to consider a rig with a larger hook for larger catfish but I am not great with that. Also, I have been using size 8-10 circle hooks on my top and bottom rigs with kids to help with getting the fish on the line, just food for thought.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Your on the right track with spinning rods and bottom rigs. Put little 1/4" pieces of bloodworm on and you will catch spot and white perch galore. Have another rod or two set up with "fish finder" rig, 1 1/2 or 2oz weight, and a 7/0 or 8/0 hook. You can cut the spot up into a couple sections and put it on the hook (the gutsier the better) launch that thing off the pier and itll be rockfish city. This is my favorite kind of fishing because your catching your bait too. Keeps young minds interested. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts