Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When trying to slow trolling speed down does anyone pull a 5 gal bucket? Do you tie off to the bucket handle or cut into the bucket then tie off? Do you drill holes into the bucket bottom to relieve pressure or just let it rip?
THX

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I've used a large drift anchor with some success. It's better than a 5 gal bucket because you can fold and store it when not in use. Also, it's good to use on a windy day while LTJ'ng if you want to slow your drift down.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use 2 5 gallon buckets tied to the cletes at the springline. These cletes keep them ahead of the lines to make landing fish easier. If you only use one bucket, you have to have it tied behind the boat on 2 cletes to keep you from running in circles. I use buckets with holes drilled in them... maybe 20 3/8" diameter holes. The only problem is that they bang into the side of the boat if its real choppy. They do work though!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I have used one and 2 buckets, I tie em off on the back cleats to keep them from banging the boat. Up till this point they haven't gotten in the way of the net. When useing just one bucket we used just one cleat, never a problem. The holes make it easier to pull up the bucket when done, but I just use my wash down bucket and tie to the handle. Now I have a bigger boat and usually do not have to use a bucket to slow down, I did purchase a sock to make stowing easier and it does work better. Cabelas did have them in the bargin cave last time i looked but that has been a while back.

·
Registered
678 Posts
If you have tabs put them all the way down when trolling, may help some...... I hate to have a bucket back there, seems like every fish would make a run for it..... I'd rather replace the prop with another pitch to accomplish the result if possible. ....

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
I've always used one/two buckets (depending on tide) without holes, tied to cleats. ******* method. Does the job, doesn't seem to affect the fish. Might attract them. Occasionally, it is difficult to get the troll speed in the zone otherwise.

·
Banned
859 Posts
When trying to slow trolling speed down does anyone pull a 5 gal bucket? Do you tie off to the bucket handle or cut into the bucket then tie off? Do you drill holes into the bucket bottom to relieve pressure or just let it rip?
THX
I drag 2 for flounder trolling, to get to 1kt or less, just let em rip. I use dock line w/loop in one end of rope, run around handle then cleat off non looped end, they make steering a b*tch if there is any current/wind. you dont need it if you use the method I described earlier. maybe #1 or #2 will redescribe it in their own words, you'all will be like, wow, i never thought of that.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
drag 2 trolling socks off the bow on short lines--keeps the back of the boat clear. easy to store. trip line makes them easy to pull up. pita, but works.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I've used a large drift anchor with some success. It's better than a 5 gal bucket because you can fold and store it when not in use. Also, it's good to use on a windy day while LTJ'ng if you want to slow your drift down.
+1.

I found a big ole drift anchor in a bin at Sunset Marina for $5. It was like 90% off... I use it to troll, drift & to help keep the boat true while anchored in windy conditions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
bucket dragging

I drag 2-3 buckets, some have holes some do not. Will probably get a trolling anchor next because even w buckets I am still too fast. . Not sure if buckets keep fish from biting.
By the way what is the ideal trolling speed for fishing fall winter season?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts