Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
This should be read carefully by our local fisherman. I am very guilty w always keeping my limit the past few years. I understand if you fish only a couple times and need fish, but several recs keep their limit every time they catch it. It's not necessary.

Rudy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not surprised at all. Like I've said before, the recs and charters will do their part to ensure the future of our fisheries is decimated as soon as possible. If you all think its just the comm guys, you are nuts. Every time this topic comes up, its the commercial guys fault. There is no way the recs and charters can be the reason. Bullsh-t. Start taking pics and releasing these breeders instead of taking them back to the dock to show everyone how great you are. I hope they shut the cobe and rockfish season down for 5 years. Thats the only way to help these fish out. Its obvious that we care more about how good we look at the dock than protecting our fisheries. Sad.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The article says nearly 50% of the fish being caught in SC are aquaculture stock. How many of the fish that we are catching in the bay are from aquaculture stock? My suspicion is more than we think and that has, at least in part, contributed to the recent good cobia fishing. If you have a unique population of cobia that spawns in Port Royal Sound SC and then you dump in a bunch of aquaculture fish to mingle with those fish, you might wind up changing the behavior of that population. For example, their offspring might start migrating further north to spawn in the Chesapeake Bay. The aquaculture programs seem to go relatively unpublicized.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Not surprised at all. Like I've said before, the recs and charters will do their part to ensure the future of our fisheries is decimated as soon as possible. If you all think its just the comm guys, you are nuts. Every time this topic comes up, its the commercial guys fault. There is no way the recs and charters can be the reason. Bullsh-t. Start taking pics and releasing these breeders instead of taking them back to the dock to show everyone how great you are. I hope they shut the cobe and rockfish season down for 5 years. Thats the only way to help these fish out. Its obvious that we care more about how good we look at the dock than protecting our fisheries. Sad.
Absolutely...Same with the tuna's

·
Registered
556 Posts
I agree. If you have 6 people on the boat you do not need 6 fish every time. People will say they are keeping what the regs will allow but we need to be smart.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Self imposed limits should be made by both the charters and recs. Boat limit would be nice but that wont happen until the catches get cut in half. Florida panhandle used to have the best cobia fishing in the world. Now we do and I would like to keep it that way. Let the big girls go.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tex, blues, seagrass, i agree. What kills me is the response from alot of recs and charters saying that they are taking what is lawfully theirs. Its this ignorance that blows me away. I cant wait to hear the *****ing in a few years when the cobia are gone. I really hope the cobia and black drum are protected like the reds, or the limits are reduced to one per boat with a slot to protect the breeders.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
In Downtown Hampton there is a VPI fish research center. I have visited several times and seen all the cobia they have spawned there. About 4 years ago , for a reason I cannot remember, I was told that the center released 200 cobia at the public dock in downtown Hampton ...these were aquaculture spawned fish. Folks talked about seeing so many small cobia in Hampton River just after the release (14 to 18 inch cobia). Local Va Anglers had a banner year on Cobia in VA for the next two to three years. Cobia grow up to 24 inches a year(I think)...fast growth is one reason there is promise of growing cobia artificially for commercial sales. When I did the math it became more than a coincidence that there were so many more cobis in Chesapeake Bay after that release....more than had been caught in recent memory, at least.

Bob Allen

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Read today's fishing report from Teach's Lair in Hatteras. In fact read several of the daily reports. They've had a banner spring on Cobia. They are catching them off of the piers too. From what I have read in the past don't expect any conservation Measures down there. That is kill, kill, kill territory.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Commercial breeding for cobia? OMG

Sir, be careful sir, youre starting to sound like me. Perish the thought we should augment the wild stock, or even more nutty, turn commercial fishing into harvesting instead of hunting. Reminds me of spring trophy season. marvelous idea.

·
Registered
11,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This may be the time to be prudent in thoughts about protecting larger egg bearing Cobia during the June-Aug. spawning season with a slot limit like we have in Md. on Striped Bass and coast wide on Red Drum. Why wait til it's too late?I prefer to release any fish that looks like it has eggs, regardless of legal regulations

·
Registered
788 Posts
Here it takes a year and a half to 2 years to grow to 37". I talked to a cobia farmer in belize and his cobia grew to 37" is 12 months in the warmer climates. Alot of our cobia sit offshore of southern n.c. all winter on a ledge so there growth is alittle slower. The major decline is the larger fish we have tons of 43"-50" fish . But trust me strickter regs would be great!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts