Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot of posts that have used "Dropper Flies" to enhance their LTG production.

I would love to hear more about the techniques for implementing this practice.

·
Premium Member
26,230 Posts
Stop in at Angler's - they carry some nice droppers.

Basic idea is to add a "fly" or lightweight lure about 18 inches above your jigging spoon or jighead.Sometimes the fish prefer the smaller lure-other days they hit both.

In summer when the fish key in on 1'' minnows-the dropper is fished behind a plug :thumbup:.

You can also tie a #2 hook on your leader and use a 2'' twister tail ;-).When the fish are thick-sometimes you get two on one rod :clapping2:.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Wingnut, I used them for the first time last weekend and it was cool to catch 2 rockfish at a time! I ordered mine from a fellow TF'er, www.cnksaltwatertackle.com. I just sent you a PM about having room on Saturday morning. Let me know if you're in.

·
Registered
556 Posts
When jigging in the Bay in the summer months, I use a little 1" gold colored fly/teaser to imitate a rain minnow/bay anchovy. This time of year, I prefer a 4" blue back deceiver.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Does anyone have pictures or an explanation of rigging a dropper fly for best presentation?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Here's a link I found for ya on one version of the loop. Knots - How to tie the Dropper loop knot
I pretty much just tie an over hand loop knot in the leader above the jig or tie in an extra leader using a uni knot and hang a fly off it. I use this often when jiggin in the fall, fly fishing tandem rigs or as a simple h-lo rig in the summer when tipping the flies/jigs with gulp/fishbites. It is as mentioned incredibly effective and when resulting in doubles on small fish can be loads of fun. When bigger fish are around you will definitely want to use leader in the 20+lb . range or a single fish much less 2 at a time will snap it.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Dropper flies

Anyone know how to tie a "perfection" loop ?

that's all I do. Leave the end that you normally would clip off long and tie your fly or small lure to that and the larger lure to the other longer piece of leader. Do the same thing for tandem bucktails for trout and flounder in the summer.
I prefer this because I can just clip off the whole rig from a snap swivel ,which is clipped to the loop,very quickly and change to something else.

Wen

·
Registered
183 Posts
Wingnut, I used them for the first time last weekend and it was cool to catch 2 rockfish at a time! I ordered mine from a fellow TF'er, www.cnksaltwatertackle.com. I just sent you a PM about having room on Saturday morning. Let me know if you're in.
Haven't seen the quality in person, but that looks like a good deal. I usually pay 2-3 bucks a piece in other shops...

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
I would not suggest using a 3 way....I don't use any clips....swivels etc in my presentation....

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
Here is a real good site for the dropper , perfection and others..Grog's Fishing Knots Index . just click on the picture of the knot you want and it will show you in an animated way; pretty cool. ....Don

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
If your " Knot Challenged" like myself, simply tie a uni to uni knot, like you normally would when your attaching leader to braid. The trick is to add 12/15" of leader material to the knot. Cut your tag of braid off, but leave the leader for your dropper fly.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What are some of the lures, flies, etc. that can be used in this manner? It sounds like it is a wide variety.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Here's another "sexxxxxxy" option: Gummy Minnows:thumbup:

They're available at your local fly shops, or Bass Pro sells them in their fly department. I don't know if they catch any more than standard dropper flies, but they sure look nice.:D

Thanks, Fishing-Rod

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Nice looking lures in this thread. I don't use a dropper much except at times when the fly is the trick to getting the fish to bite. I'd rather feel the strength of an individual fish. Problem is, you get two BIG fish on, you got a break off on the way unless you go REALLY heavy on the leader and I think that reduces action of the lure and reduces your chances of getting a big one.... a lot of good fishermen use them though and catch nice fish. Just my preference.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have never tried the gummy flies for rockfish, but they are the hot ticket for False Albacore. Not cheap either, so certainly wouldn't tie one on if there were any chance of bluefish in the area (around $4.50 each, if memory serves). But if they work their magic on rocks they way they do on FA's..... lookout.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Tried the gummy flies....fish straightened the hook!.......they're out.........

1 - 20 of 21 Posts