Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive heard of big catches of drum :bigfish: outta chesapeake beach.
Any yall ever do this and when are they hot in this area. Its funny i dont think ive ever heard of anyone talking about this fish here.

Bill

·
Premium Member
26,288 Posts
We've tried a few times-no luck.The charters who catch keep it quiet.You need fresh soft crabs for bait.The idea is to use the fish finder to spot them and drop the crab down to them.Trouble is finding a pocket of fish that is no bigger then a house.James Island flats are the first spot to look-then up near the Stone rock.Try 12-25' of water.The drum population is low-so please release them if you get lucky and catch one.By mid June they disappear-every now/then one gets caught in the Choptank or Eastern bay.One was even caught up by Love Point.I was diving the West River reef in June and could hear drum all around me-sounded like bullfrogs.We looked around with the meter but did not find the school.Seems most drum are caught in a 1-2 week window. Skip

·
Registered
859 Posts
If they come you will see boats packed REAL TIGHT over by Stone Rock. Small hook, peeler or soft crab, and a little luck. The school usually cruises that area and once one person finds the pack then everyone piles on to one another. Been there, done that, caught a few, but not my cup of tea. If you need any more info shoot me a Bmail, and I'll get into more details.

Clancy

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yes they can be found, but like others have said, its like find a needle in a haystack.

Also, red drum can be found throughout the tangier sound. Around the islands in the evenings. Again soft crabs are the ticket. You'll want to get there in the evening, with lots of bug replenant, plenty of beer and lots of crabs. Pull in close to the islands and anchor with two anchors, one off the bow, and one off the stern. Use fishfinder style rigs and cast out rods around your boat fanning the area. You'll probably have to pick through a bunch of croakers, but the red drum can be found late may through the summer months.

Be sure to bring plenty of beer, snacks, and soft crabs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Drum fishing is an exact science...... best of luck to you. As far as looking for a pack of boats real tight..... it will work from time to time... but the best way is too find them off to yourself. Joining a pack of boats will only scatter the school that much faster in the shoals that they feed or even more frustrating... make then not bite at all. Nothing is more frustrating then making a set on the fish hooking 4-5 landing 2-3 and seeing 30 bows steaming WFO at you. Then locating the school again that has been terrified. But it is the nature of the beast. There are only a handful for charter captains that still will pursue the elusive rubber lip on a daily basis with any amount of success during their short stay. If you are adiment about catching a Black Drum I would recommend using one of the following charters: They tend to make other boats look silly when it comes to Drum fishing.

Debra Christine (of course)
Worm
Kyran Lynn
Dawn Marie
Janet M II
Nancy Ellen
Kelly D

·
Registered
855 Posts
I've been told that if you want to catch really big black drum you need to fish Slaughter beach, De. on the full moon in May. The bait would be surf clams.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Try Black Drum fishing out of the Delaware Bay or CBBT where you will find much larger schools of Boomers and a vibrant fishery. You can ride around all morning looking for a small pack of boomers in the stone rock vicinity......some time you find em............some times you don't. Sometimes when you find em, the crowds scatter them as described above.

Whereas, you anchor on structure in the Del Bay and CBBT area (IMG, buoy 13) and chum with smashed up clam shells. The first full moon in may should be hot on the DE Bay and you will likely get some nice stripers on a tide as a bonus. Bait up with some big sea clams and get ready. The coral beds is only 3-4 miles from Missipilion rock pile (slaughters beach). You don't have to go in the dark as the evenings to dusk is great too.

The CBBT offers other opportunities including early Cobia, Fluke, early red drum, stripers, etc........................that place is a bonanza.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
We got em thick on the Rock last year. Peeler soft crab or soft shell clams will work. The best bet is lower bay or again Delaware Bay. They are fun to catch but taste like **** throw em back to fight another day. Some guys love em but you eat them after taking the yellow worms out of the meat..Not for me....

·
Registered
176 Posts
I did ok fishing for them last year my self. They showed early last year at the stone rock and was one of the best runs in the last couple of years. WHAT I do is troll around the stone rock with 2 rods out catch a rock or blue while I watch the fishfinder looking for the school of drum. Once I find them drop down softcrab on fish finder rig. Also if you drift along the rocks dont be surprise if you catch a blackfish.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I second De bay. They should start showing in late April-early May with a smaller class first followed by bigger boys on the new and full moon late May-early June. I'm booked on a charter on June 1st, but hope to get up there sooner while the stripers are mixed in.
Ed

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

Last May in the Delaware Bay. Big ole surf clams for bait. 9/0 hook on a fishfinder rig.

Almost lost Gman overboard on that one!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Nice Fish. Did you guys see the Black Drum episode of NJ Angler. They got a big boy about that size. It was cool to hear the drumming on TV. They said they could feel it in their feet. I'm their in May. (Slaughter Beach)

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Here is the link to the post I made after I caught my first Blackie down at Stone Rock last year. I think it explains just about everything Clancy and I did that day. It was fun to catch what will most likely be my first and last black drum as I'm not sure I would like to target them again. Please as many have already stated throw 'em back. They're no good to eat and there just aren't that many of 'em. p-mail for any more questions you might have.

-Evans

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/che...oard/53492-stone-rock-another-notch-belt.html

·
Registered
169 Posts
I got into them last year at stone rock on my final trip of 2006. I did keep one but like others have said throw them back, they are no good to eat unless you like eating worms. They come up here around may and are only around for a week or two. Like others have said look for the boats and get in close, keep an eye on you fish finder and there is no mistaking when you see them on the bottom. Drop 1/4 to 1/2 a soft crab and hold on. It took me 7 years to finally get one and I will probally go after them again this year. Nothing like pulling one of them monsters up.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yes they can be found, but like others have said, its like find a needle in a haystack.

Also, red drum can be found throughout the tangier sound. Around the islands in the evenings. Again soft crabs are the ticket. You'll want to get there in the evening, with lots of bug replenant, plenty of beer and lots of crabs. Pull in close to the islands and anchor with two anchors, one off the bow, and one off the stern. Use fishfinder style rigs and cast out rods around your boat fanning the area. You'll probably have to pick through a bunch of croakers, but the red drum can be found late may through the summer months.

Be sure to bring plenty of beer, snacks, and soft crabs.
You'll probably also get into a sting ray or two while you're at it.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
If you fish the DE Bay, be prepared to go through many, many, many, many dog fish & skates while waiting for the drum to bite. :eek2:

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
You mean you wanna catch one of these ugly critters? This is the last one I've cuaght. We landed 27 that day and I have'nt thought about them since.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts