Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading alot of articles this wk about how to black drum fish , even though i catch quite a few blacks every year just helps me get syked up for the weekend drum trip

I have read that alot of people simply idle around untill they see drum on the sounder then quickly droping lines in and hope for a hook up, have any of you ever tried this method and did u have any success with it..?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
YES and NO....I entered the CBPDR...Chesapeake Bay Pro/Am Drum Rodeo....last year down at Sharps I. We had a great turnout of contestants.....about 10 boats spent 2 hours searching for drum. At one point we were stern to stern with about 5 other boats dropping on the same school. I didn't see any other boats hooked up nor did we. It's definately a very quick strike metality and you better be on your boat handling game if it's crowded b/c if you 30' off your mark you won't catch. Not sure why we didn't get a few but the two other charters didn't either. I'd go again.

·
Registered
143 Posts
when exactly is the best time to go for black drum? I saw quite a few "******* yacht clubs" in front of the severn last year. I just can't remember the dates. Any info on when, where and how would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ron

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know thay are catching them down to the kiptopeake at bouy 16 and 13 now , headed there tomorrow and have been for a wk or so pretty good , all the bayside inlets up the east coast are doing realy well with smaller drum to 40 lbs and a occasional larger fish ,, seen 1 caught lastnight at saxis island , but have heard they have been catching a load there late in the evenings

not farmiliar with the severn drum fishery sorry

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
around here...mid bay area...the first drum show up around mid-late may with the full moon...ie first big crab shed..and the fishing usually lasts till mid june....when I say "lasts" I'm not suggesting they just disapear, but folks traditionally target them from mid-late may through mid-late june....again no expert, that's just been my expereince. I am refering to the larger concentrations of fish down around the Sharps Is. area....I know last year saw a few at the Dumping Grounds, Hackets, Tolly, etc....but I would not consider that the "place to be" if I was targeting them.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Stone Rock May 17 6am motor off be there.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Go down to Stone Rock with 50 of your (soon to be) "best friends", play "bumper boats" for endless hours while trying to drop a soft shell crab in front of this big lump on the bottom......when and if you finally hook up it feels like a cinder block on the end of the line. Get the fish on the boat and you got a big, scaly, ugly fish that may be 70+ years old and is basically inedible cause it's full of worms. Finally get bored, eat the rest of the softshells for lunch, and go catch perch for a bit of excitement. Sound like fun?
Now booking trips for summer rock, blues, perch, croaker, flounder, spot and bullsharks.......

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I gotta agree with the Sharps Island area (stone rock to be specific). They are a very different mark on the finder and it does take some looking around but that is always how we got after them. When you do find them you gotta get on them quick. I always use fish finder rigs, half to whole peeler crabs, sometimes a rubber band helps hold the bait on the hook. As Anthony said 30' off the mark and your not on the school. Growning up in the S. Jersey region it wasn't uncommon to hook up the first one, cut a line at the reel, tie a ballon to it and follow the school around. Now that was long before fish activists were concerned about the fish's feelings. I dont fish for them any longer as I dont find them tasty nor do I love the fight (and the activists have alerted me that they are very grumpy fish to begin with). But I will tell you it's a tight lipped occurance and you are best going out there and finding out for yourself. If you wait to see it here it is probably almost over. The next few weeks should see them arriving in full force.

-Evans

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Im no activist but hate to see the monsters killed and not consumed.. Last year there were several caught near the BB on LTJed lures!

The small ones are excellent pan sauteed or blackened..

·
Registered
31 Posts
The only thing differant in catching big drum and big rock trolling is ur moving and u can eat the fish,, skill wise however anybody can lug 20 tuna rods around and catch fish not anyone can catch a big drum,, certainly not as fun as the bull sharks u are catching

1 - 10 of 10 Posts