Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the book "Catchin' Chesapeake Rockfish" because I read on this forum that the planer board designs worked well in rough water. I bought some Azek based on the suggested size in the book and all the required pieces to make the boards. Now that I go to cut the boards, I realize the drawing showing the dimensions are not drawn in a way that makes sense. I also had a knowledgeable engineer look at the plans and he also told me the way they're drawn the dimensions don't make sense and to find different plans but maybe I can salvage these drawings or find some better ones with similar dimensions.

Looking at the red arrows I added in this picture the 28" length goes from the bottom left of the top board to the top right of the bottom board which doesn't make sense. Is the 28" supposed to go from the bottom of the left board (left red arrow I drew) to bottom right of the board (green arrow)? I also don't understand the 60 degree markings at all, it looks like the drawing is sawing 60 degrees between the two board tips but you would never draw and angle like that and 30 degrees is already called out in the top drawing.
Rectangle Slope Triangle Font Schematic

Does anyone have any good 2 board planer board designs or has anyone built these and can understand the drawings? Ideally looking to use my existing 4 pieces of Azek 1"x8"x~28", threaded rods, etc.

·
Premium Member
26,478 Posts
IMHO - 3 boards are best for bay.

I make up boards - 36 on outer , 32 middle and 28 inner. Pulls well on 75 to100 feet of tow line. Handles up to six lines per board.

I also have flags - on 36 inch poles.

Reactions: brightnight

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMHO - 3 boards are best for bay.

I make up boards - 36 on outer , 32 middle and 28 inner. Pulls well on 75 to100 feet of tow line. Handles up to six lines per board.

I also have flags - on 36 inch poles.

Interesting, I've heard a lot of people recommend 3 boards. I was going to avoid them because they seem to big, space is at a premium, and I will only be fishing 2 rods on each board. I have seen lots of plans for 3 boards and appreciate the recommendation. Do you take them apart for packing and then put them together on the boat? I assume Azek floats and is a decent planer board material?

I'm on a 22' Grady and fish the outer cape cod (Nantucket sound) but was told this is the forum to talk planer boards. Will have to pick my days when I can use them because there is ALWAYS some type of chop but should still have my share of days when I can put them to use.

·
Premium Member
26,478 Posts
I can send you a drawing by PM - just ask you keep it to yourself. Fellow Grady owner - 27 foot Sailfish .
The design pulls well - I've had them out in 3 -4 foot whitecaps , never flip over. The Azek floats fine - about 3 inches above water. You need a lot of the board in water so it grabs.

One trouble with two board design - fish can pull it back until release lets go - lol.

The planer boards I make do not fold - I use Loc Tite on threads so nuts stay tight. The bottom is square so can be set upright - 24 inches wide x 10 inches. Some will store on hard / Tee top , others on swim platform.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hold the 30* angle. The 60* angle is arbitrary. The front of my boards is vertical. The more material in the water the more stability. Never understood the y axis angle. It effectively reduces the length at the waterline. The mount point of the tow line is the most critical dimension. I route three horizontal slots in the area of the tow bolt. I can then move the bolt fore/aft or switch slots for vertical adjustments. It will let you maximize each boards performance.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I never under stood the y axis angle either. It eliminates buoyancy in my opinion. The 28" dimension shown is you over all length. The draftsmen should've pulled the dimension to the end of the bottom board.

Rectangle Font Darkness Science Slope

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Interesting, I've heard a lot of people recommend 3 boards. I was going to avoid them because they seem to big, space is at a premium, and I will only be fishing 2 rods on each board. I have seen lots of plans for 3 boards and appreciate the recommendation. Do you take them apart for packing and then put them together on the boat? I assume Azek floats and is a decent planer board material?

I'm on a 22' Grady and fish the outer cape cod (Nantucket sound) but was told this is the forum to talk planer boards. Will have to pick my days when I can use them because there is ALWAYS some type of chop but should still have my share of days when I can put them to use.
I have 23ft Maycraft use 3 boards! You want the boards to catch as much water as possible so they swing out well and handle the bay well. I have 2 sets of planners with 3 boards. No jokes about using 2 at the same time. I don’t 😎

·
Registered
195 Posts
I used these exact boards for a few years and they worked great for lines 50' -75'. I added a third board to them with same offset and now pull up to 150' lines with no problem through the week and 100' on the weekends. Made out of cedar so they are very light!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts