Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to buy a duck boat for next season. I'm looking at a 17 Carolina Skiff, and a 17 Alumacraft. Both priced about the same, but I'm concerned about breaking ice. My creek freezes by mid December and I need a boat to break the ice. Some people say the Alumacraft will do the job, while the Carolina Skiff will just ride up on the ice. Others say, they are about the about the same. Any Experience out there. Appricate your comments.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i guess your looking at making a bush boat if you want a carolina skiff. If that is not the case, I would suggest the War Eagle, I have a 1748 model and love it. It is built for duck hunting. Fully welded.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The Carolina Skiff picture says it all!

Don't let anyone tell you that a small aluminum boat is always safe in ice. I've rescued several people over the last 20 years whose boat was cut like it was attacked by a can opener!

But then again....ANY chance of ice or even small flows needs to be RESPECTED. Hydralic force cannot be reckoned with in the wild. Whatever your choice BE CAREFUL at all times!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Durado, were you called in by the Navy to open up the waterway?[tongue]

I would be worried that anything thick could damage a fiberglass hull?........no?

Mark

·
Registered
533 Posts
I would also recommend a welded boat. Ware Eagle is good. All you need is a slight V in the front not compltely flat so that it starts the break.

·
Registered
576 Posts

Sorta like this V on a CS hull

·
Registered
533 Posts
Kind of but I would think it could be less drastic. Some boats only have a slight V in the front and the rest of the boat is flat, and this works fine breaking the ice. If it is over three inches think I would not go out in any boat to break ice I just move my operation south but that is me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 19 ft carolina skiff, if you get one you will love it alot of boat for the money, I have had mine in ice also does a good job, I have the DLX and its not a wet ride like everyone thinks, of course if it is really rough your gonna get wet anyway.

·
Registered
76 Posts
We break ice with an alumacraft 1860 all welded (rivets are abad word in rough conditions)
Two things you need to break ice is weight and HP
You need the horses to get the boat up on the ice and the weight to break through
I have been stranded by myself on the pack ice in the 1860 as i did not have the weight to break through

Durados skiff does the job quite well too, as I have witnesses it first hand

Look in the classifieds for my buddies ultimate ice breaking machine, 20' steel skiff with ice runners
He is taking reasonable offers [grin]

·
Registered
63 Posts
look up SEA ARK.......all welded no rivets.....also live on a creek that locks up toward the end of the season.......it has two floats on the stern with a tunnel haul....the thing will float in about 5 inches.....where i hunt there are a bunch of mud flats and marsh so the tide is always an issue.......check umm out their pretty bad

1 - 14 of 14 Posts