Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot one lonely Blubill this morning at fishing bay and only saw 2 other ducks flying in the distance!! Stunk ! Good for the averages 1 shot 1 bird.

What did everyone else do or not do?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry I couldn't go - had to work. Are the marshes down that way frozen over yet? Hope to get out this weekend.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Checked my blind site on the Elk last night and it was surprisingly open water. Decided to give it a go for a couple hrs before work since with this cold the next hunt could be the last. Arrived at 6am to a frozed tundra. Broke out the axe and a rake. Carved out a hole, maybe 10 x10', threw out 7 dekes (I brought 4 doz). Nothing flew til 7 when a group of 10 greenheads circled the area. I gave em some chunklin and a couple highballs and they tolled right into my hole in the ice. One shot and I drop a drake, then do the double shuck, lots of cussing, no second shot. I look out at my duck and theres 2 greenheads dead on the ice. That definately helped my average. A few distant groups of big ducks and mergs around. Quite a few geese but Im afraid it will be locked tight by Sat. Looking for a good rain to break things up.

·
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Off elliots Island rd and only the pot holes were froze.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hopefully going to get a chance to run to assateage this weekend finnaly got the boat ready will be the first time for my partner going there any body have any reports from don that way

·
Registered
490 Posts
There are a good number of birds on the way too...full moon and cold clear nights means BIRDS BIRDS BIRDS....we watched a ton of birds coming down yesterday.

Can't wait till saturday.

-D

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Just in the last few days theres definately been a new push of ducks and geese into the upper shore. Most if not all ponds are now frozen up in PA and thats when we get the final push of our winter geese and diehard mallards and blacks.

·
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shot Hudson creek this morning with DerekG saw a fair number of Scaup we shot 6 with 4 people ... loads of geese up close!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Hey fellas we went out the last two afternoons on an EBay blind site and got out bluebills.The Cans are back in numbers as well. It should be a great late season.

-evans

·
Banned
859 Posts
We did really well!!!
Lots of birds around!
......me thinks it's gonna be a short, cold split....ending a little early.[smile]

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just wondering being new at this but what are the regs for buffleheads? I see a bunch of them at ragged island but I have not seen a published reg for fresh or sea ducks that covers their limit. Want to go out mon and tues but all I see is buffs and rail and I don't know enough about either, especially after running into johnny law the first trip[smile]

·
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As far as I know they are a regular duck limit not like BB's (2) or cans (1 drake)...No rails. Have fun getting the Butterballs to decoy![wink]

1 - 20 of 133 Posts