Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PP; have you found a place to hunt? Gene called me yesterday and said he was going to take off early today. He's going to call me when he leaves Suffolk and I'll meet him at his house and we are going to go down the blind and put out some decoys for tomorrow morning. I've completely rebuilt my corn decoy a few weeks ago and going to cut a piece of brown tarp which I'm going to keep over the decoy when not hunting. We'll have a full house tomorrow and the weekend but maybe next week we can slip down to the river pond I've got permission to hunt and see if we can bag a few there.

Acey

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We put out one bag of decoys and toted another bag of them, my corn decoy and my bag of motion decoys are all down at the blind. My big "Mojo" on a pole is charged up but still in the man cave. Probably wait till Saturday to get that down to the blind. Didn't s see the first duck but that's not a big thing at that time in the afternoon. See a report on the Ducks Unlimited site that someone is seeing a lot of mallards and wood ducks down in Gates County, N.C.. Maybe one or two will come up north tomorrow so we can take a shot at them. :rolleyes:

Acey

·
Registered
839 Posts
I've got permission to hunt a beaverswamp down in gates, guy said alot of ducks down there but he only deer hunts, gotta ride down there and look maybe Sunday. I finished up the blind down at Julian's. gonna hunt there Tomm in the rain. Good luck acey, hope you tear em up

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not a shot in our swamp and infact only a few shots heard way off in the distance. Gene saw two different pairs of ducks which I didn't see and we had a group of 6 we saw way out in front and really high. Without us calling they turned and came to the set up dropping down about half their height by the time they got over us but never low enough. They circled us twice then flew off to the south down the swamp. That was the high light of our morning. I'm thinking by the low number of ducks seen and only a few shots being fired this area doesn't have many ducks, as usual. Maybe in a few weeks. Going to be pouring rain in the morning so don't know if anyone is going to go or not.

Acey

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just came off the Ducks Unlimited web site. Reading the reports up and down the Atlantic fly way it does seem the early migrating birds are mainly south of us; N.C, S.C. and Georgia and very spotty. Looking at the reports in the Great Lakes area it does seem there are a great number of ducks and geese ready to move south when the temps take a tumble. The Mississippi fly way seems to have more ducks down south then we here on the Atlantic fly way. Just my opinion; but I'm thinking, those of us here in southern Virginia; up the bay to northern Maryland need some hard weather to move across the Great Lakes Region and into New York State to get the masses moving. After signing off from this thread I went to Weather Underground site and got the 10 day forecast for Erie Penna.. Here's that forecast. http://www.wunderground.com/us/pa/erie Other then some snow flurries this coming Sunday I don't see anything there which would set off a major migration.

Acey

·
Registered
839 Posts
Andy I just got back from the blind, got an early start at 430, set my a few of my finest decoys out in a promising spead, 4 woodies on the edge of the swamp and 6 fully flocked mallards about 6-7 ft apart leaving plenty of room for a landing, the blind is situated facing the flight pattern with the rising morning sun (Not today) to the rear of the blind. however I thought since the winds were coming out of the SE today it would be a good day.

Spent an hour touching up brush on the blind, had it looking perfect. with the utmost confidence I sat and waited for the ducks, at legal shooting time I started to worry, not the first woodduck screaming down swamp. about 7am I saw two pairs of woodies and a single right over the spread but high and didn't miss a beat. had three geese fly by, I hit the call and they turned looked for the big honker decoys that I didn't set out hehehe and they kept on.

About 830 I had a group of 10-12 mallards come in from the 258 side, not using the swamp as a highway, just passing across. With some calling I got their attention. they circled 2 times and the third time they landed 200 yds down swamp. I sat til 945 and called it a wrap. Not a shot fired. Never even heard a shot in the distance.

Also found a big dead bowfin

·
Registered
839 Posts
acey i was just out in the yard tinkering with boat (that's a whole nother story) and heard some noise i thought that sounds like snows, looked up and sure enough 8 snows heading your direction.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll grab my shot gun and get out on the deck and wait on them to fly by. :hysterical:

Acey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts