533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK it's time for the totals of the 2005 season
65 Ducks and 13 geese
22 hunting trips that averages about 3 birds a trip
shot 93 times for a ~70% shooting percentage
Had 2 doubles with one shot.
Had 1 triple with three shots
Took no banded birds but my buddy had 3 during the 2005 season.
Met some great people and had a bunch of fun. Hope everyone else did too? Next year will be 30 years as a duck hunter and every year gets better. Build some wood duck boxes or some mallard flats this spring, kill a fox if you have the chance gear up for next year with good end of the years sales.

Now, let's direct our attention to protecting the yellow perch from a commercial fishery proposal in MD.
Eastduck

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,056 Posts
Hmmm...lets see

I as well met some realy great guys this season. However this was my first year for waterfowling and moving to Md's Shore did not hurt!

Approx

30 geese...5 snows
30 Scaup
10 Scoters
10 Buffys
1 Old Squaw drake
and my only puddle duck was my drake Widgeon shot with Eastduck!

Oh yeah and a partridge in a pear tree!

Jason

·
Registered
400 Posts
Dont remember the numbers from much of the season but do have the last 6 days. I am a guide and hunt everyday so these numbers are for one boat 6 different hunts.

96 ducks bluebills, teal, gadwall, 2 buffleheads, 2 ruddy's, blackducks, red heads

4 geese-we are allowed 1 per year by permit only
4 swans-we are allowed 1 per year by permit only

the first week of the Nov season had 3 days in which we killed our 6 man limit of 30 ducks mostly mallards, bluebills and teal

·
Registered
137 Posts
Did not hunt as much as in years past, but we killed good numbers when we did go, in fact the last shoot produced a limmit of mallards for all three of us. I believe this was the year for the farm pond massacre. Can't wait till next year, but still planing to thin the goose population in these parts!

·
Registered
53 Posts
7 duck hunts and 12 goose hunts

3 mallards
8 widgeon
6 gadwall
2 rb mergansers
3 blue bill
1 ringneck
2 black
15 oldsquaw
27 canadas

These don't include the 200+ we shot in Mexico and the 20 Sand Hill Cranes

·
Registered
400 Posts
Eastduck we have a lot of ducks that winter here. our entire county is filled with personal impoundments. the last week i never even PICKED up a duck call. We had roughly 40,000 bluebills flying the river!!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's awesome I used to live in Manteo and hunted several times with Bill Blount at Matamaskeet Ventures over by Englehard and can attest to the amount of birds in that area.
We had a similar situation in N Virginia at our undisclosed location We generally had between 10-20K BB around at any given time. But it still is not like NC where we would see 40-80k per day on the impoundments.
Maybe I'll come down next year aren't you friends with Butch from Matthews county? If so we hunted together last year.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He is a good guy. Wonder if he still owns his place? Tell him hello. I 'll give you guys a call next year.

·
Registered
29 Posts
here is a VA duck report:

17 mallards
4 black duck
1 hybrid mallard/black duck
2 gadwalls
6 canadas
1 goldeneye
2 shovelers
1 canvasback
1 redhead
3 bluebills
11 oldsquaws
60 brant
15 scooters
12 merganzers
25 buffleheads

·
Registered
5 Posts
dippers are Buffleheads

hairy heads are mergansers (depending on where you are may refer to only hooded mergansers - as shellducks would be common/red breasted variety)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
37 geese
36 ducks - mostly woodies, mallards, canvasbacks

didn't keep any track of the divers but lots of ho
Virginia report near the Rappahannock
probably 15 trips

·
Registered
108 Posts
more wood ducks this year than mallards, which makes sense...
goose hunted twice in suffolk and limited out both times...
one trip to the VA eastern shore for a few buffleheads...
the highlight of the season: a pair of wigeon in early january
hunting beaver swamps in southampton county
not a bad season, but have definitely had better
;

·
Registered
215 Posts
AA County, MD:
34 blackheads
11 cans
19 mallards
4 blacks
49 trash ducks (buffleheads, goldeneye, scoter, squaws, ruddies, mergs)
23 canadas
2 redheads
4 greys
8 baldpate

hunted every day in january, weather ruined the canvasback huntin...the season wasnt nearly as good as it looks on paper

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, sounds good but your right it was a lot of work for what ducks were shot. It was so cold in Nov. I thought it should have been better. I saw thousands of Ducks Sun and Mon while tending my clam grounds on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. As many as 5000 Canadians, 2000 Blluebills, several hundred Cans, Blacks, Mallards, and Buffleheads. I had ducks and geese walking under my duck blind for goodness sake but as the saying goes the ducks don't show up until the seasons over. Guess they are right.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts