Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never mind guys. I was way off base. PaPa straightened me out.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
So use e10 instead

E85 is 85% ethanol while E10 is only 10% and available at most gas stations.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wheeww:)

I thought there was something wrong here. What we get at the pumps is just e10??? I knew something didn't sound right.

Thanks Bear.:)
I'll go ahead and change my post, so I will be lookin like a fool to less people.
:D

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Most stations will have stickers on the pumps if they are using E10 however it will vary from area to area depending on I believe population density. I live in PA and a number of pumps I've seen do not indicate E10 and it is still fairly rural where I'm at. I have seen one station that had a pump indicating E85 but that is usually for vehicles designed ast Flex fuel vehicles.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Since running e10, I've dropped from 17 to 16mpg in the truck. My ride is fairly predictable - I can watch the mpg go back up if I gas up in St. Mary's county, where they still have the good stuff.

It doesn't seem to have impacted my performance - the motor continues to run very smooth. This is also the case in the boat. Might have lost just a tad on top speed, but the motor runs smooth.

·
Registered
294 Posts
With exception to BJ's, probably WaWa and Sheetz Pax. I know most of the non-chain sellers are still conventional.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Most stations will have stickers on the pumps if they are using E10 however it will vary from area to area depending on I believe population density. I live in PA and a number of pumps I've seen do not indicate E10 and it is still fairly rural where I'm at. I have seen one station that had a pump indicating E85 but that is usually for vehicles designed ast Flex fuel vehicles.
Watch yourself. There are only 8 states that require pumps to be labeled that ethanol is used as an addative and Maryland is not one of them:
(Based on 2006 State Laws).

Alaska
Arizona
Maine
Montana
Nebraska
South Dakota
Washington (Spokane exempt from labeling)
Wisconsin

Listing by county for mandated E10 usage
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/rfg/whereyoulive.htm

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Not a whole lot of E85 stations out there. One in Annapolis and one in Rockville.

I would think the point is less emmisions not mileage..

Capt Mike
With the current setup of motor's I don't see how E anything will reduce emissions when you figure in you need to burn more of it to get the same distance and all the fossil fuels used to produce then transport ethanol.

Assuming we're getting more energy out of Ethanol then we're using to produce and transport it, we still might need to have vehicle engines setup to run at a higher compression to increase the efficiency of our motors.

I wonder if we increased the compression 10% (assuming we don't get detonation) in our motors, if we could get that 10% mileage lost due to E10 back..

- Dae

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Do we now have oxygenated fuel year-round? I remember it used to be the winter months only and my mileage would drop 15-20%. I hope that that was taken into consideration when they mandated oxygenated fuels--that we'd be using more fuel that emitted less bad hydrocarbons.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts