Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slow day on the E bay yesterday. Got one 23in and another dink. Both fish caught on BKDs. Tried just about everything, trolling, jigging, and dropping eels but the fish were being shy I guess. The birds were working bait. But the groupings seemed to be over as soon as they began. The fish would dive almost immediately if they were disturbed.
Speaking of disturbing shy fish.... The E bay was not very crowded, but there were some real clowns out there yesterday. I had a troller pass right over top of a pod of breakers and birds I was casting, pushing them down and locking their jaws. I also had a guy come and park his boat about 50ft behind me with his motor running for a good 10 min while I was trying to jig some marks on a drift. But both of these incidents pail in comparison to the next. I had a commercial crabber come barreling between me and another boat about 150ft to my starboard while we were casting the best pod of the day. This idiot proceeds to run directly into the middle of the breakers and drop 1 crab pot right on top of them. Now this guy is not a tourist on a pleasure cruise. He knows what the deal is out there. And he was deliberately being a total *******. I was seriously thinking of cutting the float off, but cooler heads prevailed. Now I'm no saint, but I was blown away by the level of duchebaggery out there yesterday. And like I said,,,,,,it was not even crowded.

·
Premium Member
26,249 Posts
You was in his spot :D. Right now alot of crabbers are not in the best of moods seeing how the female season is closed.They are trying for the last of the males before they bury into the mud for winter.

I had one crab boat laying a string of pots near the LP bouy at about 8 knots in my wake while trolling.He was gaining on me (my lines) fairly quick.I just moved over 100 feet and let him pass.

Breaking fish/diving birds can cause some anglers to get overly excited and rush in.Not much you can do about it- best to just shrug it off.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
i'm out several times a week, and my boat looks like a recretational vessel until you get close enough to read commercial markings..........you would not believe the discussions i get in a couple times a week.

when a charter does it, i have a bull horn speaker and the charter directory on my boat.......and they get a cell phone call. don't seem to have a problem more than once.

this is the worst time of the year, trollers and jiggers attempting to play well together.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts