Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after way too much procrastinating and a bad case of analysis paralysis I finally pulled the trigger this morning a bought an Evinrude 250 E-TEC from Intercoastal Marine. I was there yesterday knowing I was close to buying but wanted to discuss the problems that the E-TEC has had while running at low RPM's. I went armed with reports both from our boating forum and comments from the Hull Truth forum. They've made all the corrections on all their motors so hopefully that's in the past. I was planning on the 225 E-TEC but they gave me such a sweet deal on the 250 I couldn't refuse. So next week they'll change out my Merc 225 and hang a new 250 E-TEC on the back. Yea I'm excited. [excited][excited]. To make it even better I sold my Merc 225 while I was there so I don't have that worry.[grin]

Ain't She Pretty![grin]

·
Registered
636 Posts
A lot of the problems with E-Tecs are attrributed to owners not realizing the motor needs sufficient RPM's in the first 8 to 10 hours to plane the boat, since double oiling is occuring during that time. Extended idling and/or trolling results in plug fouling, which won't happen at higher RPMs. The motor is smart enough to know what RPM it's being operated at and doesn't count time spent below ~ 2000 RPM as breakin time. Since that is so, extended idling may result in taking forever getting beyond the double oiling period. Just keep the boat on plane early on and you should be fine.

BTW, I'm picking up my boat around 6/1 with T 175 E-Tec's on the back.

Good luck!

Jim

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[Q]WildeOne originally wrote:
A lot of the problems with E-Tecs are attrributed to owners not realizing the motor needs sufficient RPM's in the first 8 to 10 hours to plane the boat, since double oiling is occuring during that time. Extended idling and/or trolling results in plug fouling, which won't happen at higher RPMs. The motor is smart enough to know what RPM it's being operated at and doesn't count time spent below ~ 2000 RPM as breakin time. Since that is so, extended idling may result in taking forever getting beyond the double oiling period. Just keep the boat on plane early on and you should be fine.

BTW, I'm picking up my boat around 6/1 with T 175 E-Tec's on the back.

Good luck!

Jim
[/Q]

Check with your E-TEC mechanic, Evinrude has solved that problem. Make sure your TEC's have the new parts installed before you take possession. That's why I went armed with about 8 pages of comments from different forums. Also find out who the district rep. for E-TEC is in you area. I was lucky enough that he was there yesterday. [wink]

·
Registered
636 Posts
I think you are mistaken, slip. The fix for the earlier larger block V6 E-Tecs was longer deflector pins and a new injector design. That will not stop plug fouling during the double oiling period, however. The new small block 3.6L V6's (new this year) already have the longer deflector pins and injector design and heavy oiling combined with idling/trolling in the first 10 or so hours WILL cause plug problems. This is not a major issue, but can be an annoying one for those that don't understand that the motor has a breakin period, but the user doesn't need to do much other than keep the rpm's up early on.

Your new motor is a big block V6 (which is not new this year)and there is an issue with the deflector pins potentially with them, although I would expect by now the factory is correcting them. I've had extensive conversation on this topic with the tech at Short's Marine, my dealer. I'm not expecting to need the regional BRP tech rep, but if so, I know Short's has an excellent relationship with him.

Jim

Jim

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WildeOne - We're both fight just talking about two different engines. Mine is the big block so yea they've already corrected the problem. Just to be safe I'll run her WOT for the 1st 10 hrs.[grin] Good luck with your new E-TEC and let's hope neither of us have any problems.[wink]

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[Q]rrr originally wrote:
Sorry re-reading that made me sound like i was calling you stupid. I am not I was just saying that I didn't know that they were that expensive.
[/Q]
That price includes everything, installation, a few new gauges, new throttle control and have my gas tank cleaned out. The motor by itself was $14,500. BTW it's a 250 not 225.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Not WOT, just somewhat above planing RPM ... say between 2500 and 4000 if you've got a Rebel prop. Otherwise the EMM doesn't count the time for extra oiling. Once you're by that, any RPM is fine. You'll probably find somewhere ~ 3700 will be the best economy and decent speed as well. WOT will kill you for fuel consumption.

Enjoy!

Jim

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[Q]WildeOne originally wrote:
Not WOT, just somewhat above planing RPM ... say between 2500 and 4000 if you've got a Rebel prop. Otherwise the EMM doesn't count the time for extra oiling. Once you're by that, any RPM is fine. You'll probably find somewhere ~ 3700 will be the best economy and decent speed as well. WOT will kill you for fuel consumption.

Enjoy!

Jim
[/Q]
I was only joking about WOT.[wink]

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Slip sinker, That is a great deal on a 250. The best price I had gotten on the 250 was 13,900.00 from Ed's but not worth the trip. Terry is a very good guy and awesome mechanic but at the time of my repower he wanted 17k for the 225 and Ed's beat it by 4,500.00 .. No brainer. You will like the E-tec but like others have said that double oiling in the first 10 hours is tough on the troll. It is a very quite motor with NO smoke and smooth as a 4 stroke.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[Q]fixit originally wrote:
Slip sinker, That is a great deal on a 250. The best price I had gotten on the 250 was 13,900.00 from Ed's but not worth the trip. Terry is a very good guy and awesome mechanic but at the time of my repower he wanted 17k for the 225 and Ed's beat it by 4,500.00 .. No brainer. You will like the E-tec but like others have said that double oiling in the first 10 hours is tough on the troll. It is a very quite motor with NO smoke and smooth as a 4 stroke.
[/Q]
Terry is doing the repower next week - can't wait.[excited] As far as the 1st 10 hrs, well I don't troll so it should be a problem for me.[wink] I'm also anxious to see what the additional 25 hp translates into. The E-Tec 250 is almost 200 lbs lighter than my Merc 225. Heck I won't know what to do with a motor that doesn't vibrate at low speed, make a lot of noise and doesn't smoke.[grin]

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Slip, I think you made the right choice (for what's it's worth). A "bullet-proof" motor doesn't exist (my Yammie OX66 certainly isn't, even though that label has been applied to it; same with HPDI's and 4-strokes, along w/Optis and Verados). Given the new technology, E-Tecs seem to be passing with flying colors.

When I repower, E-tecs are at the top of my list. Keep us informed about how they perform for you.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[Q]goose70 originally wrote:
Slip, I think you made the right choice (for what's it's worth). A "bullet-proof" motor doesn't exist (my Yammie OX66 certainly isn't, even though that label has been applied to it; same with HPDI's and 4-strokes, along w/Optis and Verados). Given the new technology, E-Tecs seem to be passing with flying colors.

When I repower, E-tecs are at the top of my list. Keep us informed about how they perform for you.
[/Q]

You betch I'll be reporting the good, the bad, and ugly. Just hope there's no ugly to report. The only good ugly is Coyote Ugly.[excited]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.