Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed quite a few have there rigs all tied up and ready to go on there rods and the shutes hang on the eyes, I cannot for the life of me figure out how , everytime I do that every rod gets tangled with the next . This has got to be a dumb question but I can't figure it out! The have 6/12 ft leaders on the tandems and the lines are everywhere.

·
Premium Member
26,256 Posts
The method I use is pretty simple and works well.
Might help to have a rod out to try so hopefully the directions make sense.

Reel in the line so there is about 18 inches until the swivel hits the rod tip.
Take the heavier lure - 6 foot leader and put the stinger hook on the lowest rod foot guide.
Never where the line goes or it can nick.
Now pull the leader to the reel and go around it on the handle side. Take 3-5 wraps until it is almost tight.
Reel in line until the leader is tight.

Next comes the lighter lure. Pull leader down from swivel and go around the other side of the reel. Continue 6-9 times until the lure is close to the reel.

Here is the trick - mini bungee cords. Hook one to the lure hook / stinger - then pull taut and hook on a guide foot.

Next trip out - undo lighter lure first - be sure to check for line chafe.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
I save a little on tandems about a foot and if they are say 6' and 12 ' leaders I wrap acouple of times around the reel and after coming over the topput the hook on the leader and then tighten by cranking till tight THEN wrap the longer one around the reel and go to the standing line again although you may have to stretch it or rerout itaround t5he rod and up the reel. Next time onboard I'll snap a pic and post it.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
I do the exact same as Skip but I add a "cable tie " to the lower guide foot. The hook and the mini-bungee both get connected to this instead of the guide foot directly. Once locked in place it doesn't affect the rod at all. You can buy the mini-bungees in a jar at Wal-mart in the automotive dept.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I do what Skip does and use the bungee. Pics from iPhone not too clear:

bungee

wrap around reel

·
Registered
437 Posts
bungees work great. We have them in several different lengths. My son came up with a great way to protect your rod guides. Take a short piece of small diameter shrink tubing and place over the bungee hooks and heat it up. No scratches on guides!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I use to do the bungee cord thing and on the heavier jigheads they would bounce while under way which would result in scratches on the fishing pole .Leave around 18" of line out of the end of the last eye then hook the longest line to the second eye up and the shortest line to the first eye. Then grab both lines and pull tight to the reel. Wrap line around reel and when short line runs out just keep wrapping over it with the longer line untill you run out. Reel up you remaining slack to keep tight.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
Some folks can get the lengths exactly right so the lures hook to the guide foot. I have never been that consistent. When you have novice anglers out with you or folks that are just not familiar with how you do things all you have to do is tell them to start with the lure held by the bungee. Saves them from getting things tangled up.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
i don't hook the heavy short bait to any rod guide. i cut the short line so i can attach the bait (stinger hook) to a REEL bar or other solid point. the bungee for the light bait is ok.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I do what Skip said. I learned how from being on a charter and watching the mate. The trick is to teach your newbie crew how to do it so that it will be easy for them to quickly put the tandems away as well as not be remotely tangled to set out next time. The bungies work great. I have been gradually going to more single baits though as for some reason they seem to catch better. Maybe having singles higher in water column is the reason? Singles are way cheaper, easier, and more fun to reel fish in on. -Unless you get real lucky to catch two at a time which I have only had happen 3 times.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The short leader needs to go on the furthest eye. When you reel in what leader comes in 1st--- the short. so wrap that a couple times then stretch it (mono will stretch a little)to the next eye at the top of the rod, then start wrapping the long leader on the reel till there is enough leader to stretch it to the bottom eye. Here is why i do it that way, say you do wrap the short leader on the reel and place it on the closest eye and then you wrap up the long leader on top of the short leader and place it on the furthest eye then on the next trip you have a inexperienced crew that is unfamiliar with your gear and just grabs the close lure and takes it off with the line still wrapped under the long leader there is a chance for a pretty good tangle there if there not careful. So by placing the long leader on the short eye you are taking them off the way they went on.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
What everyone else said....be sure to wrap on the side opposite the handle.....also get everyone to wrap the same way...EVERY TIME.......then anyone can grab any reel and go quickly when it's time to put them back in.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Put umbrellas in crate tubes, see picture. Saw this idea posted on TF a few years back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts