Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trolled 6 spoon spreaders this morning from 6:45am until 10am. Caught 5 in Eastern Bay and one at The Hill. All between 14.5 and 17 inches. Grass was a problem near Tilghman Point. The charter fleet was all on the Western Shore so tried that for 45 minutes but no dice. Maybe I should try some bigger baits on the spreaders

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Aaron; We have been using 6 inch storm shads (or their equivalent) until the blues get here in numbers:) Not sure where your fish were showing, but the better fish have been deeper (under small fish). Either add lots of weight ( I have had as much as 30 oz on spreaders) or drop your motor into neutral and watch your deepest rod. When it bumps bottom, kick it back into gear and bring your spreader up through the fish.

Other options are to rig a three way drop sinker and bounce it off the bottom also with storm shads, hoses, or spoons. If I fish waters less than 35 ft; I have even pulled planers (No. 1,2,3) and watch for the deepest planer #3 to bump bottom and then slow down just a tad to bring it up off bottom. Drag any of the above lures as well.

I understand the spot are just getting here, so you only need to troll another week or so for rock. After the spot get here in numbers, I live line for rock; then troll for blues with the spreader and spoons.

There are many ways to accomplish you objective, these are just a few ways that have worked for me in the past.
5th

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips! I've been reading about a bunch of you trolling the storm shads (I have a bag of tsunami's) and will give that a try. Its all a learning curve as I use a mix of gear I am acquiring plus some trolling gear from a friend. Starting to feel more confident in dealing with the spread and issues that pop-up (like running thru the grass beds yesterday and getting everything back in, cleaned up, and back out). Not ready to try a larger spread with planers yet but getting more comfortable with six rods each trip. Six fish and a few more hits was enough action to keep my son interested and wanting to go again. Its funny I hated to go trolling on a charter boat but we are enjoying it on our own boat.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I'm using weights per a suggestion from you on another forum from a few years back that I read. 0,4,10,12,16,20. Most of my fish came on the 4 oz at 135' back. Will try some heavier weights and planers as well. It's a PITA to get my boat to run 1,000 rpm, it wants to idle around 650 or run up to 1200 so the in and out of gear is not an option unless I can get the throttle adjusted better. I can get it where I want it but it takes enough fiddling around that I don't want to do it over and over if I can avoid it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts