Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This season I have decided to get serious about fishing the bay. After reading a lot on this board and some of the related content I went out to put my new found 'knowledge' to the test.

So far, not so good. Spent the afternoon in the Eastern Bay yesterday and missed a few large breaking fish around 12:30...then ran around and couldn't find a thing until finally pulled up one 21" fish on the north side of the hill at dusk on a bass assassin.

After watching how the fish disappeared yesterday when the sun came out I thought this morning's forecast for clouds and rain might be good. So, I launched at SPSP at 6:30 this morning and fished the pilings and rock piles until 11. Outside of losing a few jigs, not a bite. Apparently my technique needs some work.

Went down to the Potomac river this PM to catch anything to get the skunk off...and failed at that too. Weather was nice though.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Hang in there and watch your tides. Line your trip up with the strongest one possible. You could go back to E-Bay tomorrow and smoke them. They're still there, just keep moving and looking.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
how do you know witch tide is strongest?
Without writing a novel, you basically have two tide cycles per day......one cycle will be of longer duration than the other due to the moons gravitational effect creating an egg shape of the water on our planet. Current is the movement of water in and out of any given body of water.
The novel has already been written here NOAA, Our Restless Tides, Explanation of Astronomical Factors, Tides and Tidal Currents .
There are also tide and current tables published in a number of places.

Basically you will have your best fishing at periods of strong current, if the current happens to be best early morning or late afternoon so much the better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts