Tidal Fish Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Man, I’ve been asked to see my cooler fueling up at the hard yacht. Good for you

Had a NRP I know pull up alongside of me while I was LAYING a trotline.
Young guy in bow asks, "Catching many?"

Older officer facepalms.
" He's a cadet" was his explanation.

Decades ago wife and I were bank fishing for YP at Waysons. One officer in boat, one walking shoreline. 75% of the folks fishing grabbed their stuff and ran.
Wife and I sat there
" Open the cooler".

LOL, I suggested he station an officer along road and check the folks running away at the sight of NRP.
He was not amused...

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
An under cover cop stepping into a crosswalk, and 5 cops pulling people over people for not stopping for the pedestrian stepping into a crosswalk on a 4 lane road.

300 homicides and smash and grabs on york road. No signals, just a crosswalk in the middle of no where.

When do we, who pay so much to be on the roads, get a break?
I'ts a state law, have you never seen these signs? Personally I wouldn't trust any motorist to slow down nevertheless stop.
Rectangle Font Signage Circle Parallel

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
The law is pretty clear when a pedestrian (or cyclist) is in the crosswalk. It's also clear that vehicles aren't obligated to stop merely because someone is on the sidewalk waiting to cross, although when I'm in the car, I try not to be a jerk and will slow and wave them across. The murky part concerns when a pedestrian is just entering the crosswalk: The law places a duty on the pedestrian/cyclist to give vehicles a reasonable time to stop (so you can't just leap out there and expect to prevail in court if you're hit), while placing a duty on motorists to be vigilant when approaching a crosswalk so that they can stop if given reasonable chance to do so. In my view, this all works pretty well as a legal matter, since it places a legal obligation on all parties to be aware of their surroundings and use their noggin around crossings.

I have no familiarity with the crosswalk you're talking about, Longtail, so can't comment on the specifics there. If that's in Towson, however, then I don't see how Baltimore crime has anything to do with it. But in any case, I'm not a fan of police ignoring all minor safety violations simply because more serious crime also occurs. That means addressing petty harassment by squeegee kids in addition to arresting murderers, enforcing recreational fishing limits in addition to going after commercial net pirates, and enforcing traffic crossing rules in addition to apprehending stolen taxidermy (or whatever happens by way of serious crime north of Baltimore).

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
It is right in front of dorthy dogs and mt Carmel high.

Ok, so, I stop for the pedestrian. The guy in the fast lane thinks I’m turning and continues. Of no fault of his own, hits the pedestrian crossing my lane in front of me into his lane. How safe is that?

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Without being familiar with the area, I can't comment in detail. As a matter of law, the guy going going around has a duty to be aware of his surroundings. But I agree that an uncontrolled crossing on a 45mph road seems poorly thought out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Without being familiar with the area, I can't comment in detail. As a matter of law, the guy going going around has a duty to be aware of his surroundings. But I agree that an uncontrolled crossing on a 45mph road seems poorly thought out.
He's not says the other guy is "going around", he is "going past" as in he is in the other lane. It's 2 lanes going east and 2 going west.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts