Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading to the lower eastern shore Friday and thought I would take the kayak to paddle and fish. I will be near the Cape Charles/Oyster area. Can anyone suggest where I might find some fish this time of year? Is there a launch site on the lower eastern shore that is accessible to the CBBT? Thanks!

Ned

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
You can (I think) launch out of the state park (unless they closed the launch area) and pddle south down the ICW to the bridge that crosses from Fisherman's Island over to the DelMarVa Peninsula and fish along that bridge. THat will be the closest launch area. Next closest is Kiptopeake State park on the right hand side of the road, but their ramp is a good five miles from the CBBT, so unless you're into long paddles it's a bit far.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Sandtiger gave you good advice. If you can get in on the ramp south of the Wildlife refuge it's a short paddle to the Little bridge which is the one from Fishermans Island to the Eastern Shore mainland. Kiptopeake state park could have some stripers arround the concreate ships, Oyster would be a waste of time

Stripers around the little bridge are probably going to be the best bet and that could be a very good spot this time of the year.

It's not realy a ramp just a mud bank into a narrow creek that's on county property right off the road. It's Sandwiched in between the Federal Wildlife refuge and a private locked ramp used by commercial fishermen, There is a Yak rental place on the main highway who uses that spot and may know if it's open. Chris's bait and tackle may also know the acess situation. 757 331 3000

But I don't recall any gate or way to lock it up so you could just crash it. I have never had any problems launching or parking.

Boats

·
Registered
300 Posts
Best to launch at ESNWR at high tide, there's no water on the ebb. We got into some schoolies at the Fisherman's Island Bridge just before dawn last Saturday. They were jumping out of the water. Only caught one before moving to the High Level of the CBBT and eeling for slobs. Kevin caught a 38 and I lost a monster. You need to have your 'yak on before attempting that trip, though. Crazy currents under that bridge. If you get a chance, practice at Lesner on the Lynnhaven before heading out.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Ive never seen less that 10 inches of water (usually 14+) at the put in at low tide. I never give it a second thought it, so it is my personal opinion that it is not worth timing a trip around. I have seen skiffs and such have touble, but I cant imagine a kayak would.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've been there when we had to slog our yaks through the first 100 feet of the creek then we were fine. We time it more to ride the current out and back, but that doesn't always work, either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.