Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a day. Beautiful weather, beautiful place, beautiful fish. Met the gang at Lighthouse at 5:00, launched at ES Refuge at 6:30. Arrived to the shoals a little after 8. Just as I found “The Spot” (a place I'd fished many times before) I realized that the guys had disappeared. I went looking for them to no avail. Figured they had gone back so I set up shop in a nice little hole inside the bar. First Al and Greg come paddling back through the surf. Al says he got a 40 plus and a bath. They decide to paddle back despite the ripping tide. I landed a few critters including some beasty rays. Miss a couple good runs. Then Chad comes paddling back through the surf, eyes the size of saucers. Says he landed four, one was a monster. He decides to call it a day. I stuck it out through the low. Wandered the beach and collected sanddollars, chased bat rays around the shallows, explored the bars looking for sloughs. Tide turned and started to flood. I got into “The Spot” a 7-foot deep slough that runs between two bars. Tried to anchor and soak bait but a triple header of sea beasts cleaned me out. Rigged up my medium caster and started working the shoals. Wasn’t long before I hooked a runner. When he would pull me onto the shoal, I’d loosen the drag, stick the rod in the holder, and backpaddle for dear life. When the finder said 7-foot again, I’d resume the fight. What a blast! Finally got the fish to the boat. 38 inch beaut. Decided to call it a day, a great day, and ride the flood back to the launch. Hope the dudes learned a lesson. It wasn’t the shoals, the kayaks, the fish, or the sirens that caused their troubles it was... That place demands awe and respect. Glad they caught fish, wish they had stuck with me. I will return to the shoals soon, looking for that 50 plus. Who up?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I wanna go! I played man nurse this weekend (wife and kidwere both sick) , now i feel like ****. More so now, hearing the stories from sunday....sounded fun and dangerous...but what isnt? I stayed home and i am probbable in worse shape for doing so....would rather be tired, half drowned, and have caught some monster fish, but my family is happy....that counts for something right? (cough).....right?[sad]

·
Registered
64 Posts
That place demands awe and respect......

Yeah dang right!!!!!Will do it again...but with a more stable boat[grin]

Ric...in tha dag house fer a few days....but could prolly sneek away ta test that Wilderness....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts