Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2 years I finally got drawn for the archery season and am going to scout thurs and fri. Has anyone on the board ever hunted the refuge, any input will be appreciated. There are 5 hunting zones and I guess you have to be familier with all because you zone is drawn each morning. I have walked the property before and have a general idea of it but was wondering if anyone else is hunting the bow season or has had any luck on the refuge? Thanks Walt

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If you are talking about Blackwater you don't get drawn you just go buy a 15.00 dollar permit and can hunt anytime. There is only a lottery for the gunning season and blackpowder. There are other refuges though which one are you talking about?

·
Registered
804 Posts
I think you might be talking about Eastern Neck. If so that place is Great! I have walked almost every inch of it in college with my buddies and dogs. We were allways out there. There are alot of huge deer there. You do need to know each zone so you know where to set up. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
i bought a parcel of land a while back from the eastern shore refuge in accomack county pretty much on the bay where that 1/2 the land was marshy swampy land. They owned the rest of the land on both sides of me and down the coast for miles according to the survey. You may want to wear some waders but don't doubt for a second that deer arent running through those 6 foot cattails all day long.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
refuge location

The refuge location I am talking about is the one right at the foot of the cbbt. I was not aware that there are more up the shore. I will be at the foot of the bridge. Walt

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was selected this year for zone 4 of the gun season. I have never been there but will be scouting the weekend before my hunt. Let me know how you do in bow season and about zone 4 if you hunt that one. Thanks.

George

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The refuge location I am talking about is the one right at the foot of the cbbt. I was not aware that there are more up the shore. I will be at the foot of the bridge. Walt
Here is the one he is talking about. This is an actual Wildlife Refuge and not a Wildlife Management Area.
Eastern Shore of Virginia National Wildlife Refuge, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Here is info on the hunt:
Eastern Shore of Virginia National Wildlife Refuge, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Here are the Wildlife Management Areas.
Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Walt i have hunted there for last 10 years you don't get selected anyone gets the permit then they have a lottery every morning of the hunt dates during bow season gun season is preselected. Some days 50-70 people show up but they only allow 21 people into hunt each day all zones have deer some better than others don't worry which zone you get picked for i have shot deer in all of them but alot of days you don't get in

1 - 10 of 10 Posts