Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a litlle trouble with the pic posting here, but I think I got it....so hereit goes...

I headed out of the ditch for Magothy Channel between Fisherman's and Smith Island. Soon as I was out of the ditch, I picked up an 18" flounder which I put on my stringer. I headed across Raccoon Island and as I got into the bay I encountered a peasoup fog, but since the GPS was working good I proceeded to may waypoint in the channel.

The fog was a cool relief from the heat of the day, and I started rigging my chum line. I had a 25' rope with a float on one end, and an anchor on the other. The chum bag was attatched three feet below the float and dropped out with the anchor. I also hooked my stringer with the flounder on that line as well. I drifted downtide in the slick and anchored my yak. I also placed some drops of menhaden oil in the water periodically. I jigged up a couple of Roundheads between 12-17" and live baited my big rods and placed them both on the bottom. My first fish was a small Thresher, followed by a big hookup and escape after a five minute fight...got the bait too. I rebaited with my last whiting and got a big run after 15 minutes, resulting in a 4 1/2' sandbar shark which attactcked my trolling bait bucket when he saw it. I couldn't get the hook, so I cut the leader.

I worked for 45 minutes to jig up another roundhead, and finally baited up with one about 17" I put out the big rod and continued jigging when The big rod started screaming off line. I set the hook into something solid which took off. after several runs I gained back a great deal of line, and managed to reel in the other line that was out with my left hand. I unhooked the anchor as he got close and played him out when I finally saw the sinker rise out of the murky water. As I looked I saw his huge tail and knew I had a ways to go. I had to keep the rod tip to the bow to keep from getting flipped on his frantic runs. When it seemed he was tiring, I threw my leg across the rod and paddled for the beach on Smith Island. It was a grueling paddle with this guy wanting to go left to the lighthouse, but I finally made the beach. I grabbed the leader to turn him sideways and drug him up on the beach by his tail.

It was a sandbar shark measuring 84" from nose to tail. I took these photos and cut the leader, returning this fish to it's home. I had to revive it with a back and forth motion, but it took off like a shot. During this a big storm had approached the island, and I was temporarily trapped there, and prepared for the worst. I lied dwn on the beach and let it pass. Huge waves, pounding rain, and lightning for 45 minutes. I was at least glad not to be on the water.

Paddling back I was lucky enough to see this rainbow by the lighthouse. It turned out to be a pretty good adventure. I can't wait to go back.

Tightlines

BIGMAX

· Registered
855 Posts
Next time you go, let me know if you want company. I go there for cobia and reds, but usually stop hunking livies out when the big boys show up. I am looking for another yakker for being safe while playing biters.
I go to the exact same spot.

· Registered
2,117 Posts
Ditto Chesapeake Blend. Especially cool to be able to get him on shore for the photo op! Next time when I'm with you (hint hint), one of us can take the pics while the other one grabs him on the nose to make the shark say cheese and show us his pearly whites.

Josh

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I stayed at Kiptopeke approx 4 weeks prior to this trip. I saw a bunch or huge reds massacare an aqaculture flat behind me. That day was windy, and the waves at my back were compromising my rear hatch, so I had to beach and drain the yak. In my 3 trips there, I have seen some truly big fish leaping out of the water. There were a number of things hooked that I didn't get to land, but I still wonder what they were. I look forward to what fall holds for this location, as a lot of soundings I saw were different from my maps. My dad who has passed, would really liked to have fished this place.

Tightlines
BIGMAX

I surely will post when I return, as I wold enjoy the company of fellow anglers in the chum slick!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.