Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
That is a long way off yet!!!!
I suggest that if you do plan to attend, that you park at Bass Pro and take the FREE Shuttle to the show. FWIW;)
Tight lines,

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brothers,
it's a good show to see with a bunch of buddys. But it's been my experience you can see just as much in BPS. Except they always have some new can't miss lures. superduper glues. never have to sharpen knives, mops, dish rags and jerkey you can't find anywhere else in the world. But you can book a hunting trip to anywhere in the world

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I will not go back because the emphasis is on hunting, like 70%, 10% fishing, 15% boats and RV's, 5% other. I am a fisherman, just not my cup of tea, maybe I have been to many times. Oh yeah, can you say crowded ???

It's great if you are a hunter, what a place to book a trip !

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Crowded is an understatement and it doesn't matter which day of the week you go. We go with a small group, mostly hunters and end up getting some good deals on gear...even if I only come home with a 25 cent can opener from the Army surplus place.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I might go on tomorrow (Thursday). And others are right... this show is slowly shifting away from fishing, and towards all other outdoor interests. I helped staff a booth there for several years and got to talking to other fishing booth staffers. Many of them said the small guys was being prices out of the event. I think there were more fishing booths at Timonium then there is at Harrisburg.

But, I gotta admit, the shear size of this show is mind boggling!!!... Timonium times 10.

BTW, the hours of operation as posted on the TF calendar is WAAAY off. Heres the hours C&Ped right from the show's web site:

Show Hours
Saturday Feb 3: 9am-7pm
Sunday Feb 4: 10am-5pm
Mon-Fri Feb 5-9: 10am – 8pm
Sat Feb 10: 9am – 7pm
Sun Feb 11: 10am-5pm

·
Registered
84 Posts
I went yesterday with my wife and 4 year old daughter. It's stinkin gigantic you can get lost in there. We went to Bass Pro and took the free shuttle which is cool because they drop you off at the front door and you save 5 bucks for parking. My daughter caught two trout at the trout pond and won a buy one get one trip for walleye somewhere in Ohio. I doubt we'll go but it was fun watching her snag I mean catch some fish. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Was there Yesterday.... It's mostly a hunting show and very crowed. It is alot of fun to go and walk around. It is huge and you can find just about anything there. I have been going for 20 years or so and it has become a ritual with the guys.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I made the mistake of going the first day with my wife and Brother and Sister in-law. Tried the Bass Pro shuttle and there where lots of folks waiting for it in the cold morning for it. Ended up parking in the lot on the hill. Nice thing about that is we could sit in the car until the bus came. I ended up booking a charter with the Albatross Fleet out of Hatteras inlet for $950 for a full day of Gulf Stream fishing. A whole lot cheaper than any of the other boats on the outer banks.

Like other people have said it is mostly hunting. Only one building related to fishing and boating. But my wife and I enjoyed enough we plan on going back next year.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,302 Posts
I went yesterday with a couple of buddies ......... it's been a yearly pilgrimmage for the past 18 years. The crowd yesterday was very light compared to the weekend crowds. You could move from place to place without waiting or being pushed by the crowd and you could actually talk with the vendors .......... it definitely wasn't like the weekends where you have to flow with the crowds' direction and the only way to find your buddy again is by cellphone. We didn't even have to wait for 2-3 shuttle busses to get a seat for the ride back to our car ......... I'd say the crowd size was about a third of the weekend crowd size ........

As others have said, it is becoming more of a hunting/guide and home products show. It's also a good place to see some new products coming on the market from some small independent manufacturers. I was disappointed in the fishing section. I did pick up a couple of spoons that look like they might do great for rock in the shallows at one booth though ....... Guess Basspro Shops and Cabelas have put a hurtin on a lot of those smaller shops. I did get to meet and talk to Bob Clouser though ........ real nice guy. He's even managing the fly section of the Harrisburg Basspro Shop ........ He's tying flies in the Basspro section and more than willing to give pointers .......

In another area, I picked up a good deal on the Flitz polish and buffers for the boat ......

On the hunting side, I got to shoot the new Matthews Bow ...... mmmm ... Great bow ....... picked up a unique broadhead blade sharpener ....... a unique safety rope for deerstands and a couple of other unique items ........

The show is the largest you will see ........ about 5-10 times larger than Timonium but if you're going just for the fishing you'll be disappointed ......... If you want to see what's out there for guides/charters for hunting and fishing and get some great preseason deals .... or new hunting/fishing products or looking for a deal on a boat/camper etc or just see the largest outdoors show you will probably ever see ........ then go and have a good time .......

For me it's just a tradition for me and a couple of buddies to get away for the day in the middle of the winter and catch up and have fun ........

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,056 Posts
I went Saturday, and I too have been going for years. I dont think I will be going to much anymore. I do hunt but in Feb hunting is over and your looking for some fishing stuff..

I spent $5.oo on the only fishing tackle I could find. WAY less than usual. Water was $3.75 and a hot dog was $4.oo nice to be in such company....

From now on I will just go to all the MD local shows and spend.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
I went on Super Bowl Sunday. It' a lot of hunting but still a great show. I normally go that day-it tends to me a little less crowded for a weekened. I don't chew but you still l gotta love those Skoal girls!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts