Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the feedback from TF'ers, I've found a few places where I can get eels. I'd like to give them a try next weekend. In researching how to rig them, I've run into what seems to be an even split on whether they are best used LL'ed or trolled. I'm planing on trying both.

For trolling, I think I'll rig them with a 3-way and a heavy weight with a 4' leader and then a 6' leader to the eel. For LL'ing, I guess I'll just hook them and let them do their thing. Am I on the right track?

What's the best way to run the hook?
What's the ideal size eel for a 35" + fish?
What am I overlooking?

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
make sure you have some super grippy gloves b/c those things are a pain to hold onto. I find its good to ice them down a bit just before you hook em.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Handle them with a DRY rag. take plenty of rags or paper towels
trolling works well at times, add a swivel in the middle of the leader that goes to the eel.
I put the hook through the eyes , but some put the hook in the lips, I don't think there is a wrong way, just personal preference.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
You can float the eels under a float or put a egg sinker on to help them stay deep. What ever technique and gear you used LL use the same thing just put a eel on instead of a spot. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Martin,

This past winter I got to be in the big Rockfish Tourney and we used eels on 12+ lines while drifting. They work both ways I am sure but we drifted. We used fishfinder rigs mostly. Some we put no weight on if they went on inline planers to keep them to the sides of the boat. Other we put with egg sinkers that freely we up and down the line connected to a swivel. Then about 20 6-8 ft of leader. Worked great in the ocean at least. Definitely have a rag to grab them with. We hooked them thru the upper mouth and let them "do their thing" Good luck and keep us updated.

Jim

·
Registered
30 Posts
We've always drifted them. If you anchor, they'll wrap/twist your line around their bodies and into a ball and it's almost impossible to untangle that sticky, slimey mess....and I've never gotten a hit on a balled-up eel.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I want to troll them down deep, do I just hook them in the lip (in from the top and out from the bottom)? Will they tangle while being trolled?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I've never trolled them, but there was a grat acticle on the subject last year in Fisherman Magazine. They froze them first then hooked them thru both lips. There may have been other things they did to. If you can get that acticle. I'll look in my old mags to see what month it was in.

Jim

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
If I want to troll them down deep, do I just hook them in the lip (in from the top and out from the bottom)? Will they tangle while being trolled?
Do yourself a favor, and don't troll a live eel, google rigged eel, or tin squid if you want to troll a snake. If you must, bop it on the head before you send it down.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Eel Rigging

Do it like this...my buddy did it and he caught a nice fish

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Years ago there was a guy out of Rock Hall that rigged them for trolling. Took an eel about 12 to 18 inches put them on a tin squid with a stinger hook. Salted. Caught lots of fish thata way. Go getem!
Les

1 - 15 of 15 Posts